Sub-panel in Laundry Room, 3.5 feet from sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
The homeowner would like to place a sub-panel across the hall from the Laundry sink...3.5 feet away...I guess this is ok, but it seems wrong to me...can't find anything prohibiting it in the code...comments?:?

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
working clearances

working clearances

watch out for working clearances
shoulder width and a step back
nothing in that space.

Npstewart

The homeowner would like to place a sub-panel across the hall from the Laundry sink...3.5 feet away...I guess this is ok, but it seems wrong to me...can't find anything prohibiting it in the code...comments?:?

I would think about it this way. Many electrical panels are located outside, open to the elements and get rained on, snowed on, and whatever else and there arent any problems. If its just located near a sink, this seems pretty safe. Even if they wash their hands and then decide to flip circuit breakers for whatever reason, everything is sealed and closed. I would say it is much more likely for someoneone to plug an iron in and have it fall in the sink then it is to have a problem with someone getting shocked by the panel.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
:lol: I do always stress to homeowners that I can't control what they do after I leave, but please, please, please don't move all this stuff back into the way until after the inspector comes and goes!
This is one reason I'm kind of glad my house has an exterior panelboard -- I don't have to feel guilty for piling stuff in front of it because it's in a place where I wouldn't want to put anything anyway. The only thing infringing on that panel's working space is an ornamental tree in dire need of pruning. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.