sub panel rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

gserve

Can someone explain to me the NEC rules on sub panels? What I want to know is the maximum amount of panels if any and maximum size(amps) of each. Example: 200A service and client wants 2 100A subs off of this. Can this be done this way and meet code? Please clarify Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: sub panel rules

Put as many sub fed panels as you want downstream of the main, there cumulative loads are governed by the main itself.

If the main starts tripping on over current, you need to back up. :)

Roger

iwire

Staff member

There are no NEC rules regarding the number of 'sub panels' or overcurrent devices that can be supplied by a certain size service or feeder.
The only thing that matters is the calculated load.

Wire a house that has 100 outlets, put 10 on a circuit and you end up with 10 breakers.

Now wire the same house but the owner wants each outlet on a home run. You would have 100 outlets with 100 breakers but the calculated load would not have changed.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

There are no rules on Sub Panels, its not a term used by the NEC.
You would be more concerned with the calculated load. A basic rule in Art 300 is a conductor is protected at its ampacity. The number of breakers on a panel is not related to the load.
Hmm Iwire and my self have said the same thing!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Unless otherwise prohibited (such as in a bathroom or area with insufficient working space) you can put a sub-panel anywhere you want. you could put three of them in every room.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by electricmanscott:QB] I am having a serious case of deja vu. Is that a real word?[/QB]
No, it's two real words. They translate (from French) roughly to "already seen." I would ask Pierre to give the real translation, but I think he once said that he was not of French descent. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.