sub panel size requirment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currantly working on a property W/two houses one service. Main house has 200 amp metered main , and grandma house has a 60 amp sub in closet. Because some electrical upgrades are being done , couple extra plugs an lite switches inspector wanted sub relocated whitch was no big deal because I could very easly turn old sub to j-box and mount new sub on outside of same wall location and did so. Now inspector came back after sub was relocated and said that minimum 100 amp sub must be installed , that 60 amp was not enough and that would require extensive concrete repair to install new size conducter. keep in mind the inspector did not ref. any code violation. and I cant seem to find anything referancing what size sub it has to be. I thought that as long as I have the proper overcurrant protection for conducter size that would not be a problem. grandma house is only 800 sq ft w/3 20 amp,2 15 amp,1 30 amp two pole, and 1 20 amp two pole circuts.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The nec does not addreess subs. I am guessing the inspector is referencing art. 230.79(C). Or if there is only one meter than art.225.39(C).

Are these two separte buildings or just one. Is there one meter.

From what I read the inspector seems to have this all wrong. art. 225 is for outdoor feeder. unless this is a separate building

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think the key is going to be if it meets the definition of a dwelling unit.
If so, 225.39(C) if not 225.39(D)

kwired

Electron manager
I would have asked why does adding a few receptacles and switches require a service (feeder) upgrade unless you can prove with load calculations that an upgrade is needed. It is completely outside the scope of the original work. Might be a good idea but should not be required.

upgrade was the fact that the sub was located in a closet so when he saw this and the fact that the wall was open anyway I agreed to put on outside of wall to make him happy and to be more in compliance of currant codes

kwired

Electron manager
but now that you touched it you have to comply with more things that are way beyond the scope of your original project of installing a couple receptacles.

How many people are going to have a professional install a couple of receptacles when it costs $1500 or more when a handiman will do it for $50.

Many areas have rules about existing wiring and inspectors do not make you change anything unless there is a severe safety issue.

Well I did give the bid of 1400.00 extra to my customer to do a professional install and bid was accepted. So all is good during these bad economic times. If I couldnt do it right I reserve the right to decline a less than professional job . Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.