Sub panel sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

raza246

Hi I have a 60 amp single phase panel in a basement and the customer wants me to add a small sub panel for a kitchen remodel I only need about 10 spaces total how big of a panel can I put in without making it unsafe? There are only a couple single pole breakers in the existing panel right now. Can I put another small 60 amp?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Hi I have a 60 amp single phase panel in a basement and the customer wants me to add a small sub panel for a kitchen remodel I only need about 10 spaces total how big of a panel can I put in without making it unsafe? There are only a couple single pole breakers in the existing panel right now. Can I put another small 60 amp?

You could put in a 60 space panel. The question should be what is the load.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Mike.

We need to know what the load on the panel is and what the new load for the kitchen will be.

Chris

raza246

You could put in a 60 space panel. The question should be what is the load.

Well the new circuits will be
1- 220 oven/stove
2- 4 arch faults for 4 bedrooms
3- Microwave
4- 2 lighting circuits with 4 recessed on each

old circuits are just a few 120 volt receptacle circuits

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Well the new circuits will be
1- 220 oven/stove
2- 4 arch faults for 4 bedrooms
3- Microwave
4- 2 lighting circuits with 4 recessed on each

old circuits are just a few 120 volt receptacle circuits

Without a load calc and with a quick glance...forget it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I seriously doubt you can wire all that stuff off an existing 60 amp sub panel. Can you get back to the main box and what size is it? You really should do a calculation on the entire house.

quinn77

i think what they are saying is you need to do a load calcualation on the dwelling, and on the work proposed. only then can you determine if the service can handle the additional load.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Service upgrade for sure.

I had a service call to a residence with that was blowing their 60 amp fuses because they could never use more than 2 appliances at once. They'd run the stove and dryer at the same time, then the water heater would cycle on, instant blown fuse.

You feel bad telling them they can only do two things at once until their landlord opens his wallet and pays for a service upgrade.:roll:

raza246

So I did the service calculation for the whole appartment and came up with 34 amps so i should be ok putting a sub panel right

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I seriously doubt you can wire all that stuff off an existing 60 amp sub panel. Can you get back to the main box and what size is it?

Original post seems to read that the 60 amp IS the service and he wants to add a sub-panel to that.
Sounds to me like it's upgrade time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Original post seems to read that the 60 amp IS the service and he wants to add a sub-panel to that.
Well you may be right but he said there is a single phase 60 amp panel in the basement. Is that the main panel or a sub panel? If it is the main that I don't see how he can add all those items and not be over 60 amps. I guess it is possible depending on range size etc.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Good eyes. I skipped right over that.

I say that you need to upgrade to 100AMP minimum panel to meet the current code since this is a remodel. And still do a load calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.