sub-panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee10184

i'm having trouble trying to find what the limitations are for adding a sub-panel to an existing panel.I'm mostly looking for size limitations.

iwire

Staff member
There are no size limitations.

All that matters is the supply is larger then the connected / calculated load.

You could install five 100 amp sub panels from a 100 amp service as long as the total calculated load was under 100 amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Lee10184 said:
i'm having trouble trying to find what the limitations are for adding a sub-panel to an existing panel.I'm mostly looking for size limitations.

The size limitation is dependent on the load. You can add a 200 amp sub panel with 40 circuits to an existing 40 cir. MB panel and be okay if the calculated load for the area works.

What I am saying, and I am not sure what you are asking, is that you can have an unlimited # of circuits on a service as long as the calculated load is under the size of the service.

If you want to use a 200 amp panel with 40 circuits as a sub panel and feed it with 100 amps, then you can if the load is not greater than 100 amps.

Lee10184

the app. i have has a hair salon in the front of the dwelling and i wanted to seperate the 2 by adding a sub-panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.