subfeeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an inspector requesting that a subfeed be installed in sch. 80 and be buired per table 300-5. This subfeed is 30amp 240 volt run underground between two mausoleums.Any comments or code articles i am missing on the reason for the sch. 80 would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

BruceH

Re: subfeeds

Sch. 80 would be required around here where the pipe leaves the earth and runs exposed being subjected to physical damage. Underground, sch. 40 would be fine. Local codes vary and can be stricter than the NEC.

physis

I agree. I can understand 80 where it emerges but I'd ask for a code reference where it's buried.

Thats what i thought i knew about the sch 80 rule from 1 foot below ground to 8 feet above thanks for the reply

charlie

300.5(D)(1) Emerging from Grade Direct-buried conductors and enclosures emerging from grade shall be protected by enclosures or raceways extending from the minimum cover distance below grade required by 300.5(A) to a point at least 2.5 m (8 ft) above finished grade. In no case shall the protection be required to exceed 450 mm (18 in.) below finished grade.

physis

I'm looking for the section that says you have to use sch. 80 when subject to sever physical damage but I just can't remeber where to look fo it. :(

physis

300.5(D)(4) might be it but I thought it was "severe" physical damage. I still think it's a different one I'm thinking about, It doesn't look like the right page to me. :)

hurk27

The only places that use the term "severe" physical damage" is:
250.64(B) which is for GEC,
358.12 EMT,
368.4(B) Bussways,
370.7 cablebuss,
376.12 Metal wireways,
380.2(B) multioutlet assembly,
386.12 Surface metal raceways,
392.4 Cable tray systems,
398.12 Open wiring on insulators

Non of which allows schedule 80 as the means of protection.

physis

This is a long shot, kind of a crazy thought really, but I guess it's poosible my memory isn't perfect. :D

pierre

Installing PVC underground and protecting it from physical damage is a "judgement" call. If the inspector thinks the installation needs protection from physical damage, then he can request schedule 80. I would always call ahead for the "judgement" call. I have seen where some require sand in the trench and then allow schedule 40.
300.5(F) is where they will "hang their hat".

When I inspect a trench, it is easy to see if the backfill contains a lot of rock. If so, then I ask for the contractor to remove the larger rocks, and fill or fill first with some soil or sand then backfill. I have not seen this as a problem in our area, as most contractors have been doing this since before I became an inspector.

"300.5
(F) Backfill. Backfill that contains large rocks, paving materials, cinders, large or sharply angular substances, or corrosive material shall not be placed in an excavation where materials may damage raceways, cables, or other substructures or prevent adequate compaction of fill or contribute to corrosion of raceways, cables, or other substructures.
Where necessary to prevent physical damage to the
raceway or cable, protection shall be provided in the form of granular or selected material, suitable running boards, suitable sleeves, or other approved means."

physis

Do you mean they may require the buried pipe to be sch.80? Because I would think that they could just ask that 300.5(F) be used for protection.

I don't do much underground but when I do I just come out with sch.80, if not just run the whole thing sch.80 because some of my supply joints don't even have sch.40.

physis

I was gonna say the same thing only the other way around. :D

I don't have enough to do lately Pierre so I've getting up and going to bed later than I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.