Subject to physical damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

emison

Help !! recently I was on a job where the previous contractor had installed MC cable on the surface or brick walls on the inside of a cofee shop, and exposed runs in the rustic type decor. I asked our local authority having jusisdiction why he allowed this, and was told in his opinion it was not subject to physical damage. I am from the old school, and believe anything that is not concealed in walls, or above ceilings is subject to physical damage. Has the code changed on this issue ?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Subject to physical damage

As long as it is supported properly (hopefully more supports then code requires) I do not see a issue with this.

NEC 2002 330.10(A)(4) exposed or concealed

"Subject to physical damage" seems to be left up to each inspector.

As always code is minimum, I would have gone for EMT.

Bob

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: Subject to physical damage

I think that in good conscience you would have to look at the real world exposure to physical damage. Is it on the wall of a loading dock? No, its the wall of a coffee shop. Cable run inside a sheet rock wall has to be kept back 1&1/4" from the face of the studs because it is more vulnerable to physical damage then the exposed type MC. On the other hand I would call EMT on the wall of a loading dock or parking garage were exposed to vehicle traffic an irresponsible installation.
--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.