Subject to severe physical damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Spec does not say RGS is to be used in mechanical rooms or EMT is not allowed but it does say RGS must be used when exposed to severe physical damage. How do you decide which areas this covers. Usually they will say after that " such as loading docks , corridors with heavy equipment traffic etc.". They spec also says conduit to be used as shown on contract drawings and there are two drawings that are cable and conduit schedules and show EMT for most runs but they are all in mechanical spaces .... Thus the reason I am asking. It was RFI'd with no response so I say qualify using conduit per cable and conduit schedules!!?? Thanks

Who or what determines areas of "severe physical damage"?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Spec does not say RGS is to be used in mechanical rooms or EMT is not allowed but it does say RGS must be used when exposed to severe physical damage. How do you decide which areas this covers. Usually they will say after that " such as loading docks , corridors with heavy equipment traffic etc.". They spec also says conduit to be used as shown on contract drawings and there are two drawings that are cable and conduit schedules and show EMT for most runs but they are all in mechanical spaces .... Thus the reason I am asking. It was RFI'd with no response so I say qualify using conduit per cable and conduit schedules!!?? Thanks

Who or what determines areas of "severe physical damage"?

IMO, this is one of those catch alls for the design team. Don't mess with them, they won't mess with you type of deal. In a case like this, the EE can somewhat arbitrarily decide that something is subject to "severe" damage. If it clearly isn't you may be able to get the owner's rep on your side. so much depends on the job. As an estimator, and assuming the EE doesn't already have a grudge against me, I woul only bid conduit below 5 feet and subject to vehicle trafice, or someplace that it is likely to be hung from and take my chances.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
IMO, this is one of those catch alls for the design team. Don't mess with them, they won't mess with you type of deal. In a case like this, the EE can somewhat arbitrarily decide that something is subject to "severe" damage. If it clearly isn't you may be able to get the owner's rep on your side. so much depends on the job. As an estimator, and assuming the EE doesn't already have a grudge against me, I woul only bid conduit below 5 feet and subject to vehicle trafice, or someplace that it is likely to be hung from and take my chances.

THanks and it will be qualified in the proposal letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.