Submitting global public inputs as opposed to regular public inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
I want to submit a global public input requesting that a certain series of text that occurs as a requirement sporadically throughout many articles in the code but applies really to all electrical work be moved to article 110 instead of sporadically placed or not placed in other articles. Is this an instance where I can submit a public input that just makes the suggestion instead of finding every single occurrence of the string of text and submitting an edit that removes the piece of text everywhere it occurs in the code while adding it to the one article? Such a thing would be very time consuming especially with not having the tools that staff members at the NFPA have. And if I spend all the time doing it and the committee doesn’t agree, there’s no reason for me to have done it. It would seem I should be able just make a suggestion and if the committee agrees they could have their administrative staff use text search tools to make the change. I’ve never done a global public input.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I want to submit a global public input requesting that a certain series of text that occurs as a requirement sporadically throughout many articles in the code but applies really to all electrical work be moved to article 110 instead of sporadically placed or not placed in other articles. Is this an instance where I can submit a public input that just makes the suggestion instead of finding every single occurrence of the string of text and submitting an edit that removes the piece of text everywhere it occurs in the code while adding it to the one article? Such a thing would be very time consuming especially with not having the tools that staff members at the NFPA have. And if I spend all the time doing it and the committee doesn’t agree, there’s no reason for me to have done it. It would seem I should be able just make a suggestion and if the committee agrees they could have their administrative staff use text search tools to make the change. I’ve never done a global public input.
Having read allot of rejected code change proposals I think the more specific you can be the better.
You should look at the proposals that reorganized chapter 8, as thats similar to what your talking about.
What are you proposing to move to article 110?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One of the issues that was discussed in the last code cycle was the current numbering system in Article 110 and the difficulty of adding additional rules without having to renumber and reorganize the article, something that Code Making Panel 1 did not want to do last cycle.
With the proposed complete reorganization of the NEC, that may not be an issue any more.

I do know that "global" public inputs can be made, but I have no idea how you actually make one.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
One of the issues that was discussed in the last code cycle was the current numbering system in Article 110 and the difficulty of adding additional rules without having to renumber and reorganize the article, something that Code Making Panel 1 did not want to do last cycle.
With the proposed complete reorganization of the NEC, that may not be an issue any more.

I do know that "global" public inputs can be made, but I have no idea how you actually make one.

1. Go to "Next Edition"
2. Go to "Submit Public Input On Line"
3. Go to "Table of Contents: NFPA 70" left side of page
4. Scroll down to "Global Input"

Status
Not open for further replies.