Subpanel in closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

DanZ said:
On a block wall. :roll: Okay, I get what you're saying, it's pretty much impossible to do it. I think the issue the code is after is leaving the panel open with an easily combustible material in close proximity, like a painting or clothing. However, that's not what the code says. :roll: I've never tried to ignite the paper filler in NM. That sounds like a challenge! :grin:

Why would you leave the panel open?

Igniting the paper from NM is pretty easy... it's just like the kraft paper on the fiberglass insulation.

Hmmm... I wonder if that code section got added right after The Towering Inferno came out? ;)

480sparky said:
Why would you leave the panel open?
I dunno. Maybe they wanted to see which breaker tripped when they shorted the outlet. Maybe they're lazy.:grin:
480sparky said:
Igniting the paper from NM is pretty easy... it's just like the kraft paper on the fiberglass insulation.
Hmm...it sounds like there's more fun with fire to be had...:grin: :roll:

480sparky said:
Hmmm... I wonder if that code section got added right after The Towering Inferno came out? ;)
That is possible! Or, maybe it was a response to a rash of home fires that started because HOs were to lazy to close the panel cover when they shorted a receptacle with a faulty breaker.:grin:

TOOL_5150

wewirepgh said:
Yes it wouldn't look good in the dining room

Wire it up very neatly, put a clear cover on it and call it art. :D
I always say "all my best work gets covered up" take this time to show it off!

Anyway, you can always use the old panel tub as a junction box and take all the circuits elsewhere.

~Matt

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
I know of a plumber that burned a house down because of that kraft paper.
Paper-faced insulation is not supposed to be left exposed. Its intimate contact with the drywall is a large part of its fire-resistance.

480sparky

LarryFine said:
Paper-faced insulation is not supposed to be left exposed. Its intimate contact with the drywall is a large part of its fire-resistance.

It wasn't exposed. He was sweating a shut-off on a copper pipe, and the pipe transmitted enough heat through the wall that the kraft paper caught fire. Being behind the drywall, however, he never noticed the fire. With the shut-off installed, he went home. Next day, he returned to a pile of ashes.

Minuteman

wewirepgh said:
Replacement of existing Subpanel in closet can it stay inside location?:roll:
We do these all the time. Relocate the meter base so that you can install a rain tight panel on the outside. (Most of the time, you can re-use the original nipple.) Gut the old buss in the panel, but leave the ground bar. Push new THWN into the nipple and make junctions. Screw the old panel cover door down. Takes about half a day. :cool:

MikeGee

lol "put a chair over it" had me laughing. Yea I saw a panel (my godson's parent's apartment) in a coat closet. The one with the cheap sliding door that will always slide off track. It's about 24 inch deep. the panel about 3 feet high. I thought I've seen some odd places for a panel but this is close to the top. It may be legal but I wouldn't put it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.