Status
Not open for further replies.

sf23103

New User
Occupation
Homeowner
Hey all! Looking for a little advice :)

Background
I am working on a large remodel of a duplex that runs off of one electric meter. The old meter, old 100A main disconnect, and old main panel were on the front exterior of the house. After lots of discussions with the utility we were unable to move the meter to a new location due to the way the house is positioned. So, I installed new 200A service with a flush mount combination meter and main panel MC2040B1200F . This replaced a complete mess of old equipment and looks a LOT better!! Almost all of the old wiring in the house is being replaced as part of the remodel.

Problem:
I probably should have thought this out a bit more before doing the meter/main panel replacement, but here’s my dilemma. Next year, I want to purchase a standby generator. Right now, I have a portable generator and just run extension cords to stuff like the refrigerator.

The new standby generator will go on the side of the house out of the way and near an existing outdoor gas line. This is about 18 feet from where the meter/main panel is. So.. how to power the house from there with the existing main combination meter/panel I have?

Solution?

Since I don’t actually need to power the entire house with the generator. I am going to wire the high-load items to the main 200A panel. These include electric dryers, outdoor electric heater, range, etc.

For everything else, I am installing a 125A subpanel on the side of the house where the generator will be. I am going to run 1-1-1-3 SER (copper) or 1/0-1/0-10 SER aluminum w/ 2AWG ground from the 200A panel, through the house about 20 feet. It will penetrate the house into conduit, into a junction box. From the junction box it will go through about a foot of conduit to the 125A panel.

When the time comes to install the standby generator int the future, I will remove the junction box and install the transfer switch there. The transfer switch will power the 125A panel with either utility or generator. I'm looking at the "whole house" automatic transfer switches that power the existing panel. (I wish some of these generators would come with a manual transfer switch, but they all seem to come in a package with an ATS.)

The alternative is running 1AWG THHN instead of the SER, but I reallllly don't want to run conduit!

I'm also thinking of running a separate 100A circuit from the 200A main to next to the subpanel for a future hottub and air conditioner if I ever have money again after this remodel is over ;-) Maybe I'm going a little too crazy haha.

Questions:
Does this plan make sense?
Is there a better way to do this?
Is my wire sizing correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.