Subpanel sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redeye21

New User
Occupation
Contractor
Hello all new here I'm a home improvement contractor of 30 years and have a small project I need some assistance with. I have a existing detached garage with a 100amp sub panel fed with 2-2-4-6 MHF from a 200amp main panel less than 15' away. I added a second detached garage roughly 125' away from the first detached. The plan was to add a 90amp panel in the new garage which will feed receptacles, lighting, lift, air comp. tire machine, mini split and a welder outlet.
I was going to run SER through the existing garage which is about 30-35' to a JB then convert to either MHF or XHHW-2 in conduit under ground to the new garage. I planned to run 2-2-2-4 wire and that with the run in conduit looks like it's just under 3% voltage drop. Now I have to add in the drop for the 30' of SER cable which if I use the same size it's like 0.89%. So is this too much loss? Would increasing the SER cable size help that?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.