Subpanel wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I'm going to be installed this, I guess technically this would be considered a sub panel, it has a 50 amp double pole breaker, a 30 amp breaker and a 20 amp breaker with a 50 amp receptacle, a 30 amp receptacle and a 20 amp duplex. There are several existing ones already, I have noticed they all seem to be on 60 amp breakers with most of them being 6ga wire, could I use a 60amp breaker with 6ga wire to feed this new install with an approximate wire length of 155 feet?

Attachments

• electric-pedestal.jpg
    electric-pedestal.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Perfectly legal.
Looking at a 50 amp load, your voltage drop may be an issue. A #4 feed would possibly be a better idea.

(Please update your profile to show your relation to the industry)

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I was thinking 4 myself after using a 'voltage drop calculator' but my coworker was insisting on 6, when I asked why he just said because most of the others are 6, although some are 4s with a shorter distance but they seem to be feeding a subpanel, then spilt off to 6 to feed an additional subpanel,. I will try to update profile today, thank you

scrubbin

Occupation
maintenance Tech
Question: This panel is an 80A RV/EV PNL W/50A, 30A & GFCI. Part Number: CESMPSC75GRHR. Connecticut Electric RV/EV Power Outlet. Outlets: NEMA 5-20R2 GFCI, TT-30 travel trailer receptacle, NEMA 14-50. Breakers:1P 20A, 1P 30A, 2P 50A. So should you not size the wire for 80A?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Question: This panel is an 80A RV/EV PNL W/50A, 30A & GFCI. Part Number: CESMPSC75GRHR. Connecticut Electric RV/EV Power Outlet. Outlets: NEMA 5-20R2 GFCI, TT-30 travel trailer receptacle, NEMA 14-50. Breakers:1P 20A, 1P 30A, 2P 50A. So should you not size the wire for 80A?
You would want to size the feeder to the load (not exceeding 80 amps).
It is rare for those RV panels to see loads in excess of 50 amps.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You could but this being an RV panel, it's unlikely that anything will get plugged in other than a single RV, either 50A or 30A.

Status
Not open for further replies.