Substation

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcd

Hello again I would like to thank the people who answered my question regarding prevetive maintenance. God Bless you all!
I have another inquiry to ask.what are the 5 most important part of a Substation and what are its function?
Can a Killowatthour meter function even if its short circuited?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Substation

I don?t understand the question. ?Most important parts?? Are you asking for opinions or looking for answers to test questions? How is this related to safety? Could you elaborate on the type of information you are hoping to find?

abcd

Im just askin for opinion as part of my training as a Mainetenance Planner to all power equipments.
Pls do give me an info base on experience and theory on how to handle and familiarize it.

peter

I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert of substations but I've just finished reading a chapter about them in a book which is outside right now on my terrace and unless you really want to know what it is I will be too lazy to tell you. :eek: :p
Anyway, the main components of a substation are transformers and big-azz circuit breakers. Also there are bus bars and maybe some capacitor banks and such to regulate power factors. Also there may be surge arrestors.
As for the meter being short circuited being short circuited, I suppose that if the meteritself had a short circuit, there would probably be a big flash and it will no longer work. If there is a shortcircuit downstream, it would probably spin real fast for a fraction of a second until some thing tripped.
:eek: :eek: ~Peter

masterinbama

the 5 most important parts of any substation are in this order.1.the grounding system 2.the grounding system 3.the grounding system 4.a substantial fence with barbed wire 5.a heavy duty chain and padlock

Status
Not open for further replies.