Suggestion for a 'Sticky' on fire alarm questions/posts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
On some of the posts I read in this forum, I find that I'm wondering:

1.) What brand and model number of fire alarm panel is he or she talking about?

2.) Which version of NFPA 72 or NEC had been adopted by the locality when the project in question was permitted?

Last edited:

76nemo

MichaelGP3 said:
On some of the posts I read in this forum, I find that I'm wondering:

1.) What brand and model number of fire alarm panel is he or she talking about?

2.) Which version of NFPA 72 or NEC had been adopted by the locality when the project in question was permitted?

3.) What's wrong with the spell checker on the computers about half the folks here use?

You can strike #3. These folks are here to help. The quicker they finish with your question, the sooner they can move on to help someone else.
Proper spelling is not one of the forum's rules. Quite honestly, I find that quote somewhat disrespectful.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Point taken. I don't post here or anywhere else with the intent to offend people, and I 'm not looking for anything for free. I posted because I could (maybe) offer more helpful information to someone with a question with the details I mentioned in items #1 & 2.

76nemo

Michael, these folks, including the Moderators, are here on their own free will.

We are all here to help one another. Suggestions of your sort puts quite the setback onto the folks here willing to help with your debates and discussion. You'll find alot of abbreviations and electrical talk somewhat unknown to many of others who aren't familiar with the forum.

I came to the forum thinking I could bring lots of insight. Now that I have been here awhile, I have realized I don't know squat compared to the majority of most of the members here. The folks here are very respectable professionals in the field. We ARE NOT here to make statements of that sort.

One of the most basic rules to the forum is that we treat one another in that fashion. This forum has some very basic, yet very strict rules. One of them includes that we treat one another in a fashion that you would like to be treated being new to the forum.

Let's keep it cut and dry, straight to the point without sarcasm. When I thought I had alot under my belt, these folks have showed me what I did not learn in maintenance. Almost every night I check in here, I learn something new, and THAT alone has to show for itself on just how much can be learned here, and from one another.

RESPECT, the bottom line;)

frizbeedog

MichaelGP3 said:
Point taken. I don't post here or anywhere else with the intent to offend people, and I 'm not looking for anything for free. I posted because I could (maybe) offer more helpful information to someone with a question with the details I mentioned in items #1 & 2.

....and please don't be offended by other members criticism of #3. Forever to be known as, Remark #3 a cuationary tale on posting. :wink:

What you have to offer is very important to us. :smile:

.....but these help sometimes, cause it can sometimes get dicey around here.

:grin: ;) :roll: :mad: :cool: :confused:

76nemo

frizbeedog said:
....and please don't be offended by other members criticism of #3. Forever to be known as, Remark #3 a cuationary tale on posting. :wink:

What you have to offer is very important to us. :smile:

.....but these help sometimes, cause it can sometimes get dicey around here.

:grin: ;) :roll: :mad: :cool: :confused:

Dicey, but yet in the manner of profession,......

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Michael, while we're still picking on you, it's also considered bad form to delete out text from your posts in the interests of self-preservation. It's better just to leave it, take it on the chin and apologize or defend the statement in a later post.

Now that we're all done picking on you (hint hint :D), I'm open to seeing a more full idea of what you're talking about. Could you post something you'd like to see included in the FAQs, and I just might add it in there. Try to keep it in the same basic format as the other posts, if you could. Others are more than welcome to steal/edit/manhandle your suggestion for the best finished product.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
mdshunk said:
Here's a direct question... find me the most economical 10-zone FACP.

I'll nominate the Silent Knight 5208. Ever since the adoption of the latest edition of UL 864, no one seems to make a small (2-5 zone) panel with a built-in DACT listed for commercial use. The 5208 is cheap enough that I can put one in for the same price as an SK-4 and 5104B communicator. And I don't have to worry about bringing separate services to the panel and communicator, and whether I want to try and provide backup power to the communicator from the panel.

Of course, try and tell the property owner who needs a windowless basement covered with 3 detectors, one or two horn/strobes, and a couple of pull stations that you're doing him a favor putting in a 10-zone panel. It gives my Irish gift-of-gab quite a workout.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Michael, I will join you in the dissenting opinion since I find poor spelling to be somewhat annoying and at times confusing. The fact is using ieSpell requires only a few seconds before hitting the post reply button. For me it's not my spelling that stinks it's my typing, which translates normal words into something that can be illegible. No one here will be banned for poor spelling, poor typing or poor grammar. But for me personally it more closely follows the decorum of this forum to take a few seconds and spell check a post. OK I said it, others feel free to bash away.:rolleyes:

kkwong

infinity said:
Michael, I will join you in the dissenting opinion since I find poor spelling to be somewhat annoying and at times confusing.

I agree and that's why I only go to Craigslist late at night for fear of the spelling/grammer. :grin:

For me it's not my spelling that stinks it's my typing, which translates normal words into something that can be illegible. No one here will be banned for poor spelling, poor typing or poor grammar. But for me personally it more closely follows the decorum of this forum to take a few seconds and spell check a post. OK I said it, others feel free to bash away.:rolleyes:

I can't be banned for spelling?????? Or grammer??? Dernit!!

In all seriousness, being an inspector and writing correction notices by hand is sometimes a pain since my thoughts don't always travel with my pen. I find that sometimes I do have a misspelled word and tend to horsewhip myself for it later since, IMHO, it is unprofessional.

Edit to add: and as infinity alluded to, a misspelling can make a thought or in my case a correction to be made unintelligible difficult to understand since not everyone in the melting pot is an english speaker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.