Suggestions for a flat rate book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawls007

I'm looking for suggestions for a decent flat rate book without having to fork out $2000 +. Basically, I want the most bang for the buck, something with a wide range of services to accomodate almost any situation.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mdshunk

In time, you'll have a flat rate book in your head. You just won't quite realize it. It's funny how after a while I can "ballpark" something to myself in my head, figure it all up, and find that my gut feeling was darned close. I can walk around an old house that needs rewired, gauge the difficulty of the fish to each hole, and keep a running tally of each hole's "flat rate" to use as my final price. I don't suggest this for the new or the timid, but after a while, you just "know" because you've done that same task the same way a million times.

Ranch house, accessible attic, no attic floor, install paddle fan, change box to Westinghouse Fanmaster Jr. fan box, install 2x4 lumber for support, $299 every day of the week. Takes 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours on site, depending on attic clutter and furniture.

satcom

We have worked with what they now call flat rate. for many years, in my state any job over $500 requires an up front price, and a written contract, we have years of job actuals, which we use to estimate work, all this data is stored on sheets for easy access, the sheets have all the labor units, material, and job conditions, no guess work with good record keeping.

Sparky555

In an article on Patrick Kennedy's Mr Sparky operation it mentioned that he had to adjust his Atlanta prices for Florida construction (concrete block & no basements).

So it goes something like this...
Estimate/Bid/Contract
Do the job & track your time
Check your job for profitability
Adjust your prices

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.