Suitable for use as service equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

I just installed a Cutler Hammer BR816L125DSP panel. I have used these many times before without a problem, and I don't actually expect a problem this time, but I noticed something on the CH documentation that I hadn't noticed before.

It reads
Suitable for use as service equipment when a main breaker is used or when no more than 6 service disconnecting mains are provided & when not used as lighting & appliance panel board
What exactly does the exclusion about an appliance or lighting panel board mean?

It has branch circuits that include appliance circuits and lighting circuits. What are they referring to?

ryan_618

Re: Suitable for use as service equipment?

It has to have a main breaker (if used as service equipment) to satisfy this rule:

408.36 Overcurrent Protection.
(A) Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard Individually Protected. Each lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard shall be individually protected on the supply side by not more than two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard.

sfav8r

Re: Suitable for use as service equipment?

Originally posted by ryan_618:
[QB] It has to have a main breaker (if used as service equipment) to satisfy this rule:
Oh, that makes sense. I was reading it incorrectly thinking it was not approved at all if it had lighting or appliance circuits. Should have paid more attention to the "or" there ;)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.