Sup panel troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an old 120/208V 3 phase panel with 4 wire and no ground, the conduit is used as a ground.

when I open the panel I saw some of the branch circuit terminated on the neutral bar.

I am afraid this is proper installation however one of electrician said its normal?

When u measure the neutral and ground, is it normal to get continuity?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you mean by branch circuits terminated on the neutral bar? Do you have any photo's?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Does ground mean Equipment Ground?
or
Does ground mean Grounding Electrode?

Sounds like you mean the conduit serves as an EG.

The neutral bar should be isolated from the enclosure. No EG should be landed on the Neutral bar.

You should get continuity from neutral to EG because they will be bonded together at the Service Entrance. No where else.

Separate buildings and an old installation may have allowed the bond of Neutral to the enclosure at the Service Disconnect for a separate building.
In that case you would be required to have a Grounding Electrode System at that building.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does ground mean Equipment Ground?
or
Does ground mean Grounding Electrode?

Sounds like you mean the conduit serves as an EG.

The neutral bar should be isolated from the enclosure. No EG should be landed on the Neutral bar.

You should get continuity from neutral to EG because they will be bonded together at the Service Entrance. No where else.

Separate buildings and an old installation may have allowed the bond of Neutral to the enclosure at the Service Disconnect for a separate building.
In that case you would be required to have a Grounding Electrode System at that building.
Yes I meant EGC. the neutral has to be isolated from the panel enclosure.

Thank you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Only if it's a service panel or an old installation on a detached structure with no EGC with the feede and your metallic conduit rules that out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is a sub panel then you are correct that neutrals and equipment grounding conductor's must be separated.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Only if it's a service panel or an old installation on a detached structure with no EGC with the feede and your metallic conduit rules that out.
It’s old panel with no feeder EGC, and it’s not on detached structure. Commercial building

Status
Not open for further replies.