Suppling power to a detatched garage from the house pane

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Suppling power to a detatched garage from the house pane

A separate structure can have a set of service entrance conductors from the main house service drop, without any overcurrent device. 240.40 Exception No.3.

pierre

sbradley
If the garage has any other conductive path back to the house, such as a phoneline, cable or water, then you will be required to separate the equipment grounding conductor and the grounded (neutral) conductor at the garage. The grounded conductor should not be electrically connected to the panel, and the equipment grounding conductor should be bonded to the enclosure of the panel with no connection between them.
If there is no conductive path between the house and the garage, you can do it as Wayne has explained, but my suggestion is to keep the two conductors separated.

Pierre

bennie

Esteemed Member

Conductive systems can be present from an unattached building as long as they are not electrically connected to the neutral bus of the panel.

delfa

Originally posted by sbradley71:
I wanted to drive a ground rod but when we told the electrical supplier we were going only 30', he didn't feel it
Now if I sold ground rods for a living, I would have told you that you needed two or three ground rods! LOL :)

pierre

Bennie
If the wiring of the 'other' systems to the house are properly grounded, bonded or whatever it is being called these days :roll: they are connected via the GEC to the neutral of the service - no?

Pierre

bennie

Esteemed Member

When there is conductive material between the buildings, it can not be bonded at both panels. Earth does not constitute a bond. A ground rod(s), at the detached building, is all that is necessary for grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.