Supply House Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

durraniguy

Hey Guys,
Is it Ok to tip a counter Guy? and if yes how much. How do you deal with large markups. And at Christmas who do you give a card with money and how much?

Buck Parrish

Hey Guys,
Is it Ok to tip a counter Guy? and if yes how much. How do you deal with large markups. And at Christmas who do you give a card with money and how much?

I'll go; I think tipping is always okay. Yet, unheard of at the supply house.
However, I bet you will get better assistance for sure!
I almost did it one time. Instead (Since I knew he was an avid fisherman) I gave him a new fishing lure to try out.
One guy a gave a Turkey call.

Now at Jiffy Lube I tip before they get my truck. Because they go through help in my area so fast. You never have the same guy twice.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Usually not, but last week I gave the guy $20 for opening the store on a Saturday to get me out of a jam.

He tried to not take it so it must not be very common.

satcom

remember at the supply house you are the customer, they should be tipping you.;)

It's ok this generation tips everyone even if they get lousy service, the same generation that thinks paying for a cell phone and cable TV is better then putting away for a rainy day.

ceb58

Usually not, but last week I gave the guy $20 for opening the store on a Saturday to get me out of a jam.

He tried to not take it so it must not be very common.

That is a horse of another color. If the guy made a special trip to open up for you then,yes. During regular hours then, no. Maybe a little something at Christmas for the ones that provide good service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always give the counter guys and the driver anywhere from $50 to $100 at xmas. I don't tip the manager-- he makes alot more.

nyerinfl

At Christmas each year I give bottles of Goose to the usual guys who help me out throughout the year, usually 2 counter guys, my guy who does my gear/lighting quotes, and the branch manager. They always seem suprised to get the gift leading me to believe not many others do any form of tipping.

satcom

At Christmas each year I give bottles of Goose to the usual guys who help me out throughout the year, usually 2 counter guys, my guy who does my gear/lighting quotes, and the branch manager. They always seem suprised to get the gift leading me to believe not many others do any form of tipping.

The supply houses around this area, usually shower the customers with gifts every Christmas

Well, I guess things have changed over the years, people used to rob banks, today banks rob the people.

nyerinfl

The supply houses around this area, usually shower the customers with gifts every Christmas

Well, I guess things have changed over the years, people used to rob banks, today banks rob the people.

I wish that was the case. I did get $450 worth of tools from them last christmas via a promotion they ran, although I had to spend about 10K to get it but still it was better than getting nothing.

ctmike

once or twice a year ill set it up with the branch manager and buy lunch for the whole place counter guys mgr inside sales people and the guys who pull the orders its not to bad they order pizzas or a few large subs every ones happy

Wow

Wow

I've been in and around this field all of my life. Dad always did, and still does, give the guys a bottle or cash for christmas. I did work at a supply house for a few years and not once did any of the contractors give any of us anything except a hard-time.

I guess it all depends on where you're at (location). I know everyone around this area (suburb of Phila) happens to be CHEAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.