Supply side bonding jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojay

Is a supply side bonding jumper for an RMC service raceway permitted to terminate to a main service panel equipment ground bar instead of the neutral bar? My understanding is that unless the main bonding jumper is a conductor or busbar, the same rule for GEC termination should apply to the SSBJ. Is this correct?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where does this supply side bonding jumper start at? Why is one needed where the service conductors are rigid metal conduit?

rojay

It starts and ends at the main service panel. Just a short jumper from a grounding bushing around some concentric KO’s in the panel.
Just a standard locknut and bushing at the opposite end of the raceway at the meter.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't believe the code addresses the termination point for a supply side bonding jumper that is not associated with a separately derived system.

rojay

I don't believe the code addresses the termination point for a supply side bonding jumper that is not associated with a separately derived system.
Don, I was thinking 250.80 would also support the SSBJ to neutral thought. After thinking about it, I guess a connection to the panel enclosure which is bonded to the neutral would also suffice. If a service raceway connected to the cabinet through a bonding locknut (where there are no concentric KO’s) is code compliant, then there probably shouldn’t be an issue with one attached to the same cabinet through a bonding jumper.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That is a good point, but the language in 250.80 does not require a "direct" connection. As you said the service raceway can be connected to the enclosure with a bonding locknut.
However this issue probably needs a Pubic Input for the 2026 code to provide some clarity.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My understanding is that unless the main bonding jumper is a conductor or busbar, the same rule for GEC termination should apply to the SSBJ. Is this correct?
As Don stated the wording directing you to do it this way is not there. IMO it would be code complaint to terminate either way. If there was a hub into the panel there would be no wire type SSBJ and that would be code complaint as a way to bond the service raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.