supplying load side of breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Hi All, the house I am working in is having PV's installed (different contractor)I have little experience with PV's however something doesn't seem right,here is the situation,they have 2 -12/2's running from the panels to a 6 circuit SQD panel they are suppling the loadside of 2- 20 amp 2 pole breakers the remaining space has a 2 pole 30amp breaker that is going over to meter location, not sure what that connection is,I always thought it was illegal to supply the loadside of breaker
Thoughts.:?

iwire

Staff member
Hi All, the house I am working in is having PV's installed (different contractor)I have little experience with PV's however something doesn't seem right,here is the situation,they have 2 -12/2's running from the panels to a 6 circuit SQD panel they are suppling the loadside of 2- 20 amp 2 pole breakers the remaining space has a 2 pole 30amp breaker that is going over to meter location, not sure what that connection is,I always thought it was illegal to supply the loadside of breaker
Thoughts.:?

You can backfeed any breaker that does not indicate which side is line and load.

What they are doing is OK and normal.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Normally supplying the load side of breakers (i.e. terminals) requires a hold down (408.36(D)), but 705.12(D)(6) explicitly exempts interactive inverter connections from this requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.