Support and securing of LFMC

Market man

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Would fastening LFMC to a slack chain or aircraft cable with zip ties meet the securing and supporting requirements. of nec 2017 350.30 if the chain or cable was securely connected to a wall on one side and securely connected to a piece of equipment on the other side?

The though is that fastening the LFMC to the chain or cable would prevent the LMFC from being stretched or damages while providing the equipment a limited range of motion (to be moved in and out of place) to allow for cleaning around the equipment. If acceptable this would potentially allow LMFC to be used in lengths greater than 6'.

Note: cord and plug is not an option for this potential installation.

Market man

Occupation
Electrical Designer
No photos available. This is just a hypothetical, but a drawing is attached.

Attachments

• LMFC Support Model (1).pdf
    8 KB · Views: 26

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Infinity, basically it's a version of a messenger cable.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I agree with Infinity, basically it's a version of a messenger cable.

Yes. And I think it would be appropriate to leave a couple feet of unsupported LFMC on each end that's allowed to droop down a little, somewhat like what's done at a service entrance but with a shallower loop. It wouldn't be for the purpose of making a drip loop, but to keep from applying too small of a bending radius to the LFMC at its the ends when the equipment is pulled out all the way allowed by the messenger cable.
Plastic coated aircraft cable would reduce the possibility of abrading the thin plastic cover of the LFMC.