Supporting 2x4 lay ins

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are wiring a gym addition on a school in South Carolina and they don't use city or county inspectors the go thru a company to do inspection. The inspectors are telling us that when tying up lights we must tie up all four corners of the light and wrap the tie wire around itself 3 times within a inch and it must be tight. Also tie wire must be going in the same angle as the other peices of tie wire or we fail. Didn't know if anyone else has run into this or if we are just getting bullied into doing this.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
We are wiring a gym addition on a school in South Carolina and they don't use city or county inspectors the go thru a company to do inspection. The inspectors are telling us that when tying up lights we must tie up all four corners of the light and wrap the tie wire around itself 3 times within a inch and it must be tight. Also tie wire must be going in the same angle as the other peices of tie wire or we fail. Didn't know if anyone else has run into this or if we are just getting bullied into doing this.

Agree with Tom if that is for the GRID not the light. That would never be the electrical contractor's responsibility, but I think it is actually the ceiling grid instructions not the building code per se. In some places, including California you are required to install a ceiling wire in opposite corners, so two each to the light itself. Never seen a requirement for 4 corners.

kwired

Electron manager
I think some places go overboard on this. Newer troffers and now LED panels are much lighter then old troffers used to be. Some maybe even lighter then the tile that would otherwise go in the same hole, the tiles don't ordinarily get extra support or securing:blink:

Its ridiculous here. Your tie wire cant touch any other trades stuff all four pieces of tie wire must be going in the same angle and must be twisted tightly 3 times with in a inch. We have to paint the tie wire a certain color also. Also have to pull huricane clips which isn't a problem but also had these seismic rated clips on the light also that secure them to the grid.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

I think some places go overboard on this. Newer troffers and now LED panels are much lighter then old troffers used to be. Some maybe even lighter then the tile that would otherwise go in the same hole, the tiles don't ordinarily get extra support or securing:blink:

Good point. Installed some 2x4 led panels today. They weight about half of what a tile weighs....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Most of NC is in seismic Category C and the requirements for suspended ceilings can be found in this publication and depending on the specs it may or may not be the electricians responsibility but unfortunately it probably is.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I reread this. If it is anything like doing school work in California, this is likely a spec not a code. Or possibly a desire. No matter where the inspector is required to give you a reference to enforce a rule so ask for it. Independent inspectors are usually hired to enforce both specification and code so they have every right if there is documentation that requires this work. Other than a clearly written spec I doubt they can find a rule. If the spec wasn't in division 16500 (26) fixtures but instead in the acoustical ceiling spec I would argue that it is the ceiling contractor's job to perform this work. As far as 3 turns in 1" THAT is a typical building and manufacturer's requirement for all ceiling wires.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its ridiculous here. . We have to paint the tie wire a certain color also. Also have to pull huricane clips which isn't a problem but also had these seismic rated clips on the light also that secure them to the grid.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

That's long been a code requirement. When UL tests a ceiling assembly, they have a large fire room, the grid is installed and a fire started to check the fire resistance of the grid. When you install electrical conduits on the grid wire, that installation has not been evaluated by UL. So we install our own wires that are a different color.

And most importantly, the ceiling installers don't like us on their wires. I like the Caddy EC2 clips it lets the ceiling float at the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.