Supporting Detectors In Ceiling Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AHJ requires that all smoke / heat detectors I install in ceiling tiles, be in handy boxes, and be supported by a brace that goes to each side of the support grid. Right now I?ve been using a product called ?Caddy Hangers?. There a real pain when you have to install 200+ of them in a pre-existing building, does anyone know another product that will do the same thing but is easier to deal with?

The biggest problem I have with them has to do with gaining access to the tile next to the tile I?m installing in, so I can snap the hanger in place. This building is a mess, there?s way too much insulation on top of the tiles, and then on top of the insulation there?s tons voice/audio/data/electrical (unsupported I might add).

Re: Supporting Detectors In Ceiling Tiles

We use caddy products.It is going to be a pain and hopefully when you pulled your permit,you stated you are not responsible for existing work in ceiling.
I started a project and the inspector made us fasten all existing electrical and data.The ceiling tile were at 9 feet,but the concrete ceiling was 20 feet.What a pain.
The problem we run into is repairing and fixing others work.Hey,I shouldn't complain,it makes me money.
You need to bid this heigh so you can take your time in doing it right.Good luck
Rick

frankc

We went to using round Wiremold boxes and mounting them at the intersection of ceiling grid members. We use a couple of TEK screws to fasten them to the metal, then bring armored cable in to one KO. The KO is located so that a small corner of the ceiling tile is removed to allow space for the MC cable.
Mounting detectors in the tiles gets to be a pain,although Caddy makes some good hangars. Mounting to the grid costs more with a Wiremold box, but eliminates the bridging hangar and hole in the tile.

fyretek

wow im realy late on this one. Hey use the caddy stuff it's the best....and um cough cough we call it PRE-FAB fab up all you bax and hangers first and cut your tiles then put it all in at one time. bit of a time saver at the celing level at least.

p.s we use 4'square boxes with 3" rings on them cuz you can vary the size of the box with the hanger and tile depth, also you can get a 3" hole saw with an extension and buz through several tils at once to fit the 3" ring , depends on the manf. of somke ur using. I'm used to notifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.