Supporting low voltage cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyos

Occupation
Electrician
We were just shot down for using Romex staples to support low voltage HVAC control cable to thermostats in a wood structure. The AHJ says we can't use Romex staples. We can support off the cable. But not with tie-raps. Has to be velcro strap. Has anyone ever had this issue? This is in Maryland.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Any code references. Sometimes insulated staples will say what they're listed for and if not smaller than a 14 2 might get complaints. But using them to support something else goes against that logic. See if just regular little 18awg lv T25 staples will fly.

joeyos

Occupation
Electrician
The AHJ says no. He will not allow Cable ties nor staples. Not even staples with the plastic inside. This is for 18/2 cable. He says only velcro. I just want to get it right so I don't have to do it twice. (We are already doing 40 units over). I have never heard of this. Has anyone else? Does Maryland go by a different code than the NEC?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The authority having jurisdiction is being a bit ridiculous IMO.... What is his fear. If you want to get done go get those small insulated staples and be done with it,

joeyos

Occupation
Electrician
He has already warned that he will not accept them. And no tie raps as well elsewhere where the structure is all metal studs. He said only velcro. I'm trying to figure out what he wants in the metal stud section. A CJ6 with a velcro strap? Forgot to ask while he was there.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Was he wearing his clown outfit when he made these statements? Did he reference a code section or standard?

joeyos

Occupation
Electrician
So, my foreman on the job just now informed me that it was not an inspector. It was an architect. That solves the ridiculous request. It was indeed a design issue that we were not made aware of. Thanks for the help all

joeyos

Occupation
Electrician
I'm sure he hasn't. I could forgive its an oversight, but now I am paying to do it twice. Had he said he wanted it that way, I would have factored it in. Nothing I hate more than doing it twice

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
So, my foreman on the job just now informed me that it was not an inspector. It was an architect. That solves the ridiculous request. It was indeed a design issue that we were not made aware of. Thanks for the help all
Yes the newest trend, according to the July issue of Home & Design magazine. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.