Surface Mount Panel On Mobile Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNG

Occupation
Jack of All Trades
Does NEC allow surface mounting the main disconnect on outside of mobile home?

I have a 200A main disconnect that feeds 4/0 -4 wire to the main panel in a mobile home. The panel is pole mounted, feed over head and conduited to the mobile and of course it's right where I want to put a garage/carport. The mobile is on a permanent block foundation but I don't think it's registered with the state (no 433A/B with CA) so it's still considered a mobile home by the state. Exterior walls are 1/4" concrete board siding (not sheet metal).

Does code allow for the panel to be moved on to the mobile home and surface mounted, feed under ground from the utility and then move existing mobile home feed to come from new location? And is it under 550.xx?

If it's against code, how close to the mobile home can I put a "Free Standing" panel mount per code?

P.S. How do you post/load photos, tried but it wouldn't take a flicker link.

FNG

Occupation
Jack of All Trades
click

Here's a picture

1722362095448.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from the 2023 NEC

550.32 Service Equipment.

(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment.

The mobile home service equipment shall not be mounted in or on the mobile home. The service equipment shall be rated not less than that required in accordance with 550.32(C), mounted in a readily accessible outdoor location, and within sight from the mobile home it serves. The mobile home service disconnect shall be permitted to be used as the emergency disconnect in accordance with 230.85.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please try diychatroom.com

This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.