surge problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

I have a customer who is claiming ther had a major power surge at her house. she claims her tv and satalite are smoked and there was a radio that was burnt up internally no melting on the cord or the receptacle. there are several major problems with this house she has her ac and dryer hooked together,she has a trailer hooked into a 30 plug however the wires were cut,her heater after running for a few hours the breaker is extremely hot to the touch plus she has all of this hooked to a 100A panel main breaker when i arrived she had 120 to ground on both legs and 220 between legs she wants to know what caused the surge any suggestions im thinking obvious overload

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: surge problems

Before you tackle the fire hazard, did you establish that there was 120V at the radio, TV, etc? With all the pyrotechnics set up, you might have a torched branch circuit or two to add to the list... :)

[ February 28, 2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

southernboys

hey mr stolz i checked where the radio was supposed to be plugged in pulled recep out of wall checked with rms meter also checked main breaker and several seperate circuit breaker unfortunately homeowner wasnt home and i didnt know about other diyers problems needless to say ill be going back to upgrade service and probaly rewire house

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Sounds like fun!
happydevil.gif

rattus

If you really measured the hots at 120V to ground and 220 between them, that is a problem! Should add up to 240V.

I would suspect lightning as the culprit on the zapped electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.