Surge Protection for Feeders NFPA70 2023

Patpowers

Occupation
Electrician
I have a question regarding 215.18 in 2023 NFPA70. 215 is for feeders. 215.18 is specific to Surge Protection for Feeders. 215.18(A) lists four (4) situations where a SPD is required for a Feeder. 215.18(B) is specific to the location of where the SPD needs to be located. Basically the load side of the Feeder.

In my area we often have an outdoor service panel where most or all of our 240volt feeders originate from. We usually install a sub-panel inside the dwelling for the 120volt branch circuits. If I’m understanding this code change correctly, I will need a SPD at my service, and an additional SPD at the load side of my feeder to sub-panel. Am I understanding this correctly??

Occupation
Electrician
We were debating this today in our meeting. I think the language is messed up but I think the intent was to require a single SPD for the main service. The way it is worded you could say it is required at the subpanel as well. I would be interested to hear others thoughts.

shortcircuit2

2023 NEC:
215.18 requires SPDs for feeders for dwelling's

225.42 requires SPDs for feeders for dwelling's

Compliance with 215.18 satisfies the exception in 230.67(B)...and no SPD needed at service equipment

225.42 is not needed because 215.18 covers feeders.

Leespark57

This section needs clarification IMO. Specific to dwellings, does it require an SSD when a feeder supplies an entire dwelling unit or any part of a dwelling unit? For instance, does a fused disconnect for a hot water heater now require an SSD?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This is a change that has not seen a lot of discussion. I agree that the coordination of verbiage between 230.67 and 215.18 leaves at lot to be desired. The way I see it is that you must have SPD at the load end of each feeder. So for a dwelling with multiple feeders each load center will need an SPD. This will have a huge impact on multi family as you will now need an SPD in each units panel (not at the meter center end).
In the case of a dwelling where you have, say, a meter main with feed thru lugs and provisions for branch breakers then there would also have to be an SPD in that panel as well as the distant load center connected to the feed thru lugs.

shortcircuit2

Leespark57- A fused disco for a hotwater heater would be a branch circuit so no SPD. A feeder is a feeder whether it suppies an area of dwelling or the whole dwelling. Given that the 2023 rule is not specific to either, IMO it covers all feeders for dwellings. Section 215.18(A)(3) & (4) does specify particular areas of those facilities and would not cover for example the feeder to a kitchen distribution panel.

There are multiple PI's for the 2026 NEC on SPD's. Given the the NEC is a safety Code, I think we will see additional requirements for SPD's to be installed.
PI 4415 has language in 230.67 to clear up the coordination texie mentioned...Surge Protection installed for services as described in this exception does not replace the requirement to install surge protection on feeders and branch circuits where required elswhere in this code.

There is a PI to add SPD's to the DC and AC side of PV in section 690.13

Leespark57

Leespark57- A fused disco for a hotwater heater would be a branch circuit so no SPD. A feeder is a feeder whether it suppies an area of dwelling or the whole dwelling. Given that the 2023 rule is not specific to either, IMO it covers all feeders for dwellings. Section 215.18(A)(3) & (4) does specify particular areas of those facilities and would not cover for example the feeder to a kitchen distribution panel.

There are multiple PI's for the 2026 NEC on SPD's. Given the the NEC is a safety Code, I think we will see additional requirements for SPD's to be installed.
PI 4415 has language in 230.67 to clear up the coordination texie mentioned...Surge Protection installed for services as described in this exception does not replace the requirement to install surge protection on feeders and branch circuits where required elswhere in this code.

There is a PI to add SPD's to the DC and AC side of PV in section 690.13
Wouldn't the conductors feeding a fused disconnect be considered a feeder since they are before the final overcurrent device?