surge protector/brown out

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuntNJ

Occupation
Electrician
I've had a couple customers get electronic damages from recent storms through both brown out and surges. Is there a protector for both? My local supply house is useless so i resort to most of my research on google. I haven't found anything and this is my last resort.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You need some type of UPS for brownouts. Some UPSs will provide both functions, but not likely the cheap ones.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
ok. is the ups more for computers not so much mini splits and ranges?
You would need a large and expensive one for those types of loads. Maybe a surge protector and a undervoltage relay that will drop out the power to the equipment when there is a brownout.

mbednarik

Occupation
Electrician
UPS for sensitive electronics if you are worried about brown outs. Only does small stuff though, I would advise to install a quality panel surge protector, install a point of use surge protector at each appliance with an electronic board and update the grounding. Make sure all intersystem bonds are in place as well. Another option would be a stand by generator. Brown outs don't typically damage electronics, mainly motors if the overload protection is not really up to par.

RCC1

Occupation
Retired - E&I Maintenance Superintendent
I have seen brown out detectors on Amazon (220VAC), but have no experience with them. I was looking for the plug-in style for my refrigerator. But most of those had relay outputs, and I got concerned about the module itself failing and causing the refrigerator to loose power. Wouldn't mind loosing air conditioning for a while if module failed, was more concerned about loosing food and the mess that would cause. See link of the 220 VAC one from Amazon (think there are others). Read the reviews.

www.amazon.com/COV-32200-Voltage-Protector-Conditioning-Inverter/dp/B082WMRL6G/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2THK7ADX9TBE4&keywords=220+VAC+brownout+protector&qid=1673797332&sprefix=220+vac+brownout+protector%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-19

Status
Not open for further replies.