Surge Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezwitinc

Here's the scenario:
1) 39 apartment buildings.
2) Fire alarm loop from building to building in a junction box on the outside of each building.
3) 110 volt circuit from building to building in a junction box used to power a bell on the flow switch at each building.
4) Fire alarm cable connected to a surge suppressor in each junction box at each building.
5) No ground attached to the surge suppressor so no protection.
6) Original contractor is long gone.
7) Any ideas on the best method to connect a ground?
8) Would it be acceptable to use the #10 ground in the adjacent 110 volt junction box?
9) There was a ground rod driven below each fire alarm box apparently to be used for the ground but never connected to anything.
Your opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
DEZ

charlie tuna

from your explaination --there is no ground installed with the 110 volt source of power used to power the bell during flow??? this is the ground you would need to properly bond the surge protector. the solution is to re-pull the 110 volt circuit to provide a ground back to the source voltage ---ground rods will not do this and thats probibly why they were never connected.... we had a similar problem on a large complex in the keys, and until we convinced them to provide a ground back to the original power source they burnt up thousands of dollars worth of fire alarm boards. this happened to be a notifier system.......

note: we also installed a small ups power supply unit at the power source.....

dezwitinc

Surge

Surge

Thanks Charlie but that is not my problem.
I am not trying to take care of surge protection on the 110 volt line but rather on the fire alarm loop.
My question I guess is where is the best place to pickup the ground for the surge protector on the low voltage side that was installed but never grounded.
How about some ideas guys and gals?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.