swimming pool and lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyman

I have a new construction house. One room is dedicated for an "endless pool" It's premanufactured type that you drop into a depression in the slab. Any how, the cieling above the pool does not allow for the 7'6" clearance above the max water level and the room is only slightly larger than the pool, additionally I don't see any exceptions for low voltage lighting in this room. Anyone know what type (if any) of light fixture I can use in this room?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is yet another case of the designer/architect who don't do their homework.

Had a very similar issue with an indoor hot tub. We are to code bu inches with the lighting. They wanted a split system heating system in there and I would not wire it since there was no way to meet the clearances.

andyman

bonded lights?

bonded lights?

what if the lights are bonded to the rest of the pool equipment like with a niche fixture. Is there anything made for overhead that can be bonded?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
what if the lights are bonded to the rest of the pool equipment like with a niche fixture. Is there anything made for overhead that can be bonded?

The code makes no exception for that. Remember pool lights are specifically designed and tested for installation in the pool. Standard fixtures are not setup for bonding so what method would you use. Remember anything you do needs approval or listing for the purpose.

Maybe someday someone will make a fixture that is suitable for use closer than 5' from the pool edge.

Last edited:
Not Your Problem!

Not Your Problem!

Sounds like someone other than you needs to do some re-design.

Is there anyway that recessed cavities can be built into the ceiling to provide additional clearance? Say you have a 7' ceiling, perhaps the builder can build boxes 6" inches deep into the ceiling where you can install lights at 7'6?

What is the ceiling height?

Status
Not open for further replies.