Swimming pool bonding grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does steel welded wire fabric count as "structural reinforcing steel" for use as an equipotential bonding grid, or does it have to be "re-bar"?

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
Does steel welded wire fabric count as "structural reinforcing steel" for use as an equipotential bonding grid, or does it have to be "re-bar"?
As far as the perimeter surface? Yes 680.26(B)(2)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
As far as the perimeter surface? Yes 680.26(B)(2)

No, its actually for the pool itself.

The "pool" is really just a flat concrete pad, so there isn't any rebar, just wire mesh. But the powers that be still consider it a swimming pool.

The code just says "structural reinforcing steel". It sounds like that should include steel wire mesh for re-enforcing.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
I believe I would install perimeter bonding per 680.26(B)(2)(b). Hard to put a price on safety.

david

Woven wire mesh by most engineers or building departments adds no structural strength to concreate. In that line of thinking wire mesh is added to help in crack control. In my opinion should it be bonded yes. Does it meet the criteria as a means to bond different parts of the bonding grid together, In my opinion no.

Structural reinforcing steel wire tied together is in fact rebar

david

Most pool designs would include rebar or a vinyl liner to avoid the copper mesh in 680.26 (1) (b)

If a copper grid is in question you need to talk to your building department

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
WWF does add tensile strength to concrete. Are we still talking perimeter surface which my mindset was or is my age showing?

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Woven wire mesh by most engineers or building departments adds no structural strength to concreate. In that line of thinking wire mesh is added to help in crack control. In my opinion should it be bonded yes.
I'm going to disagree here. Rebar and reinforcing mesh serve the same purpose. Concrete by itself is very strong in compression, but not in tension. Rebar or mesh or even in some cases other fibrous additives all serve the same purpose, to provide that tensile strength. Whether mesh or bars are required really depends on things like the thickness of the material being reinforced and the like. It definitely provides structural strength.

If you've got mesh in your slab, it's made of steel, and not encapsulated, you better follow the requirements. The AHJs in both jurisdictions I've worked in certainly agree.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
WWF does add tensile strength to concrete. Are we still talking perimeter surface which my mindset was or is my age showing?
No, I wasn't talking about the perimeter surface. I was talking about the grid under the pool itself. I think its unusual to not have rebar, but like I mentioned, this is just a flat slab for a spray pad.

If the powers that be are OK with using the steel mesh as the bonding grid, then I think its allowed.

david

I think what you are referring to falls under 680.26(b) (3) i still believe woven wire mesh does not meet the criteria as bonding tie point rather a metal that needs to be bonded not the metal in 680.26 (B) (1) (a) however you said the powers that be are satisfied

Status
Not open for further replies.