Swimming Pool Luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

finster1

The wet niche forming shell needs a # 8 Ground and the light has a 6 foot cord/tail left wrapped around the light so it can be removed from the pool for service///My question is should there be a seal to stop water from entering the conduit on a 120volt fixture..I understand that the wire is suposed to go to a pool listed jbox so many inches above the waterline...The people from anthony sylvan have there rep calling my customer and telling them that the conduit should get water in it and that the seal on the light is fine and I say that is bullcrap . Also on another project there is no pool listed jbox it goes right to the subpanel....I've been tool that the the light was made to be installed this way and that as long as the wire was continuous to the subpanel it was ok...No matter how many times Iread the code Idont interpret the same way...Any help finding whatever I've overlooked would be apreciated.....

quogueelectric

finster1 said:
The wet niche forming shell needs a # 8 Ground and the light has a 6 foot cord/tail left wrapped around the light so it can be removed from the pool for service///My question is should there be a seal to stop water from entering the conduit on a 120volt fixture..I understand that the wire is suposed to go to a pool listed jbox so many inches above the waterline...The people from anthony sylvan have there rep calling my customer and telling them that the conduit should get water in it and that the seal on the light is fine and I say that is bullcrap . Also on another project there is no pool listed jbox it goes right to the subpanel....I've been tool that the the light was made to be installed this way and that as long as the wire was continuous to the subpanel it was ok...No matter how many times Iread the code Idont interpret the same way...Any help finding whatever I've overlooked would be apreciated.....
There is no splice except in the deckbox right?? The 6 foot is just slack aka extra cable to pull the light to the deck unspliced. I think this may help your understanding.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
finster1 said:
Also on another project there is no pool listed jbox it goes right to the subpanel....I've been tool that the the light was made to be installed this way and that as long as the wire was continuous to the subpanel it was ok.

If this is a dry niche luminaire then the JB is not required however it is required for a wet niche fixture.

Cavie

finster1 said:
My question is should there be a seal to stop water from entering the conduit on a 120volt fixture..I understand that the wire is suposed to go to a pool listed jbox so many inches above the waterline...The people from anthony sylvan have there rep calling my customer and telling them that the conduit should get water in it and that the seal on the light is fine and I say that is bullcrap . .....

No bullcrap here. Water in the conduit is no problem. That is the reason for j-box 8" above the waterline so the pool will not drain. Light is sealled. Cord wraped around the light is in the water yes?? Slack is to allow light on deck for changing.

LawnGuyLandSparky

finster1 said:
The wet niche forming shell needs a # 8 Ground and the light has a 6 foot cord/tail left wrapped around the light so it can be removed from the pool for service///My question is should there be a seal to stop water from entering the conduit on a 120volt fixture..I understand that the wire is suposed to go to a pool listed jbox so many inches above the waterline...The people from anthony sylvan have there rep calling my customer and telling them that the conduit should get water in it and that the seal on the light is fine and I say that is bullcrap .

It's not bullcrap. The light fixture is sealed and set inside the WET niche. Sealing the conduit accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Also on another project there is no pool listed jbox it goes right to the subpanel....I've been tool that the the light was made to be installed this way and that as long as the wire was continuous to the subpanel it was ok...No matter how many times Iread the code Idont interpret the same way...Any help finding whatever I've overlooked would be apreciated.....

I've done 2 installations where pools had multiple fixtures and there were no deck boxes anywhere near the pool. In these instances the brass conduits were stubbed up near the filtration equipment, some 100' away. (The cost of brass on this job was outrageous) but near the filtration equipment they all terminated within deck boxes, 12" above the water level, before entering the pool panel. All of the fixtures had to be custom ordered with very, very long cords.

finster1

wet niche liminaire

wet niche liminaire

I understand fully how the light ,deck box and conduit should be, but my point is that the seal around the light should have enough intergrity to stop water from entering the conduit and siphoning the pool of water if
it were to break. I realize you cant seal a wet nich at the entry/exit because you have two wire coming into the niche...the light and the #8 ground and I also realize this is why we use a pool light listed j box for the install.......This is why it bothers me to see one of the biggest pool installers in my area with no jbox.....Makes me wonder if the pool installers are doing the electrical work and who is inspecting them and signing off on them.....Plus properly installed in the cement and according to all the pool light listing the seal should be good enough to seal a wet niche and stop the siphoning of water in the event the conduit is broken at a later date by one of the other crafts involved in a pool install/renovation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In some cases, I'm told by a local pool supplier, the purpose of the wet niche is to keep the lamp surounded by the water for the cooling effect. Those lamps, without water, become akin to flashbulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.