Switch Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My original comment alluding to the eventual demise of switchboards has only to do with the upcoming emphasis on arc flash protection. When people realize that the electrician must dress up like a nuclear power worker to open a hot switchboard to test a fuse or circuit, Metal-Clad or MEI switchgear will begin to have a lot more appeal. I have not seen a switchboard spec put out for bid in 3 years, maybe more.

sparky_magoo

Panelboard = a grouping of molded case or insulated case circuit breakers. Same as a switchboard concept but because each breaker is in its own case, fault management is easier. Usually refers to Low Voltage (600V and under) only.

Load Center = el-cheap-o version of a panelboard typically foound in residential applications where cost is king. Fault management by virtue of containment of the flames to within the box, but newer cheaper "home-line" versions are coming out with plastic boxes, so even that may be going by the wayside..[/quote

I am cofused about the difference between a load center and a panelboard. We have a commercial job where I installed a
200A three phase CH CTL panelboard. The foreman slammed me because I had to replace the can I installed with a true panelboard. The only difference I could discerne between the two boxes was that the true panelboard was 22 " wide and the first can I installed was 14" wide. Both cans were CH three phase 200 A CTL cans. Can anyone tell me the difference, other than more room for make up?

Both cans were class CTL UL listed panelboards.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
sparky_magoo said:
Panelboard = a grouping of molded case or insulated case circuit breakers. Same as a switchboard concept but because each breaker is in its own case, fault management is easier. Usually refers to Low Voltage (600V and under) only.

Load Center = el-cheap-o version of a panelboard typically foound in residential applications where cost is king. Fault management by virtue of containment of the flames to within the box, but newer cheaper "home-line" versions are coming out with plastic boxes, so even that may be going by the wayside..[/quote

I am cofused about the difference between a load center and a panelboard. We have a commercial job where I installed a
200A three phase CH CTL panelboard. The foreman slammed me because I had to replace the can I installed with a true panelboard. The only difference I could discerne between the two boxes was that the true panelboard was 22 " wide and the first can I installed was 14" wide. Both cans were CH three phase 200 A CTL cans. Can anyone tell me the difference, other than more room for make up?

Both cans were class CTL UL listed panelboards.

I think those were both panelboards. The 14" wide one is called a "column width" board. It fits nicely inside a lot of big steel I-beam columns you see out on open factory floors. Inside the column, it is somewhat protected from the industrial process. But I wouldn't use one except for inside a column because of the limited wiring space.

Load centers are usually 3.xx inches deep - made to fit inside a 2x4 stud wall. Panelboards are usually 5.75" deep, and require a 2x6 wall for recess mounting.

Also, panelboards usually have bolt-on breakers, and loadcenters are plug-on (not sure if you can get them the other way or not). I always spec bolt on breakers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is no UL or NEC difference between a panelboard and a loadcenter.

The only differences are purely marketing and are often unique to the manufacturer.

For what its worth, loadcenters are usually (but not always) built to fit into stud cavities and have lots of knockouts on ends and sides for NM cable entries.

dahualin

I got some definition of Switchgear, Switchboard, Panelboard and Load Center from Siemens training material that are listed below:

1. Switchgear: The term switchgear is used to describe coordinated devices used for control and protection of equipment such as generators, transformers, capacitor banks, motors, and distribution lines.

2. Switchboard: is a large single panel, frame, or assembly of panels on which are mounted, on the face or back, or both, switches, overcurrent and other protective devices, buses and usually instruments.

3. Panelboards: used to control light, heat, or power circuits. Placed in a cabinet or cutout box. mounted on or in a wall. assessible only from the front. Siemens panelboards are available with max ratings from 125 to 1200 amps, voltage rages from 120 to 600volts.

4. Load Centers: Used to control light, heat, or power circuits. placed in a cabinet or cutout box. mounted on or in a wall. accessible only from the front. typically rated 225 amps or less and 240 volts max.

Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.