Switch GFCI protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I was on a service call today where the pool light was controlled by a switch. The switch was the size of 120V dimmer switch used in residential wiring. At the top were 2 dials (1 black and 1 red) that looked to be for adjusting the trip setting. I had never seen a switch like this before. With the switch cover on you actually have 2 switches sticking out from the cover. Imagine a single pole switch that has the toggle seperated in the middle. Well the top half you push in and the pool light comes on, and the bottom half you slide to the left and the pool light shuts off. Is this a switch with a GFCI built into it? I didn't see GFCI or a manufacturer name anywhere on this switch, and this is the 1st of its kind I have ever seen. Anyone ever come across these and know any of the history behind them, thank you.

[ August 15, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: GG ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Switch GFCI protected

Did it look like this?

thumb-xpplw01.jpg

This type of switch uses X-10 technology which allows switching control through electronic waves.

Look here for more info:

http://www.x10.com/support/basicx10.htm

http://www.x10.com/support/technology1.htm

[ August 15, 2005, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

GG

Thats the 1. So this is an X10 switch that can be controlled from a remote location? That could explain why the letters GFCI were not on it. Thank you.

[ August 15, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: GG ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

If you need to order a replacement, then you can probably find it on the link Trevor posted.

When you call, be sure to ask for the telemarketer with that ridiculous grin on her face 24 hours a day...
:p

physis

And I thought I was the only one who saw all the weirdness around me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by physis:
And I thought I was the only one who saw all the weirdness around me.
Nope! We see the weirdness around you, too! :p

GG

Great, now we turn on a light while laying on the sofa, control the TV, the ceiling fan, order a pizza. Well wait a minute, if I order a pizza who is going get up to answer the door? They make anything for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.