Switch outside the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUF

Occupation
Engineer
In some cases it is more convenient and practical to have a light switch not by the entry inside the room but rather outside the room. Bathrooms can be small, crowded, etc. so that it makes sense to put a switch outside the bathroom close to the door opening. You turn the light on, enter the bathroom, exit the bathroom and turn the light off. It may make sense to have the switch inside a bedroom, but because you are not going to sleep in the bathroom, you will open the door to get out and - here you go - a switch to turn the light off.
I believe that NEC does not care if the switch is outside a room/bathroom.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
For the most part the NEC attitude on switches is that it's a "design issue", not a Code issue.

d0nut

Energy codes typically require the switches to be located in the space they serve or have a pilot light or some other indication of the status of the lights.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In some cases it is more convenient and practical to have a light switch not by the entry inside the room but rather outside the room. Bathrooms can be small, crowded, etc. so that it makes sense to put a switch outside the bathroom close to the door opening. You turn the light on, enter the bathroom, exit the bathroom and turn the light off. It may make sense to have the switch inside a bedroom, but because you are not going to sleep in the bathroom, you will open the door to get out and - here you go - a switch to turn the light off.
I believe that NEC does not care if the switch is outside a room/bathroom.

The nec does not care about location of a switch which is odd, IMO. I can have a switch in the middle of a bedroom for an overhead light and that would be compliant.

I had an argument with an inspection because a flood light switch for the back patio was not at both patio doors. This was not my doing but we got involved because of a remodel. The switch could have been placed anywhere and

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
The switch outside the bathroom door is great when your brother is taking too long.😇

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The nec does not care about location of a switch which is odd, IMO. I can have a switch in the middle of a bedroom for an overhead light and that would be compliant.

The 2020 code addresses the switch location for habitable rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens in a dwelling units. If requires that the switch that controls the lighting outlet in the room be located "near an entrance to the room on a wall"
Of course "near" is still a subjective rule, but 2017 and earlier codes had no guidance as to the location of the switch that controls the required lighting outlet other than that the switch be on a wall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2020 code addresses the switch location for habitable rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens in a dwelling units. If requires that the switch that controls the lighting outlet in the room be located "near an entrance to the room on a wall"
Of course "near" is still a subjective rule, but 2017 and earlier codes had no guidance as to the location of the switch that controls the required lighting outlet other than that the switch be on a wall.

Thank you I keep forgetting about the 2020 because we still use the 2017 for residential. I think that is a good change.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Like a fancy master primary bathroom, with double doors...3-way on the outside and on the inside is a great idea.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Energy codes typically require the switches to be located in the space they serve or have a pilot light or some other indication of the status of the lights.
The energy codes typically require the switches to be installed in locations that allow users to see the controlled lighting. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to be in the same room. Then if users can't see the controlled lighting, pilot lights come into play.

Jason Rohe, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.