switch requirement in hallway

Status
Not open for further replies.

68Malibu383

I'm sure this has been beat to death (searched and did not find exactly what I was looking for), and I think I know the answer but just want to be sure. New house and light switch for the stair light and upstairs hall are at top of stairs. Hallway is 14' long with bedroom on opposite end from stairway. As far as I know, there is not a requirement for the hall lights to have another switch closer to that bedroom 14' from the stairs. Long hall, one switch. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Correct, but it sounds kinda inconvenient.
Sure it is, but in this prosperous world we have achieved you have to create your own adversity.

Walking to school in the cold, chopping wood for heat, cooking a meal,.. .. all have been eliminated from daily life. There needs to be something in this world used to build character.

wirebender

Sure it is, but in this prosperous world we have achieved you have to create your own adversity.

Walking to school in the cold, chopping wood for heat, cooking a meal,.. .. all have been eliminated from daily life. There needs to be something in this world used to build character.

In that case, put the switch by the bedroom door. :)

kwired

Electron manager
Only the stairway light needs switch at each level.

If you wanted you could put a single switch for the hallway in the basement near the opposite end of the house and not have a NEC violation. It requires at least one wall switch but does not specify where to locate the switch.

480sparky

If one took to routinely wiring dwellings to absolute Code minimum, you'd be out of work very quickly. Once your reputation got around the building community, you'd never get hired.

kwired

Electron manager
If one took to routinely wiring dwellings to absolute Code minimum, you'd be out of work very quickly. Once your reputation got around the building community, you'd never get hired.
But you also would likely be cheap, so you would win bids, then would come all the complaints of what you did not provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.