switched neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

drees

24v hot is switched thru plc. the plc feed is common to all 16 outputs In order to stop specific output from operating under certain circumstance,I could break the neutral to that one output.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Pierre C Belarge said:
Load side (secondary) conductors from a 24v source...which conductor is the "neutral" conductor?
That's what I was trying to figure out. Thought I was missing something.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Then if you did that, wouldn't the output still be energized up to the point where you made the neutral break?

dbuckley

Since to switch the (so-called) neutral you would need another pair of isolated contacts, why not just put that pair of contacts immediately 'after' the PLC contacts? No confusion.

As for neutral - for one wire to be a neutral it would have to be grounded, giving the other wire a 'hot' relationship to ground. If there is no ground connection then both wires are isolated from ground, and are equal in all respects. However, one wire is, in most circuit configurations, a 'common', the return from your lamps, relays and solenoids etc. Most folks get confused when the common line is switched, cos its, well, uncommon..... (sorry, couldn't resist)

Overkill

drees said:
In a low voltage control (24vac) is it ever acceptable by code to interlock the neutral?

I've seen motor starters wired like this. The overload contact it in series with the coil on the neutral side.

drees said:
24v hot is switched thru plc. the plc feed is common to all 16 outputs In order to stop specific output from operating under certain circumstance,I could break the neutral to that one output.

If you have a "hot" going to the PLC output card, than there is no neutral to break. The switching is done through the PLC's internal electronics and the "neutral" for the output switching is supplied from the backplane. Unless theres a PLC manufacturere that requires a neutral that I am unaware of, in which case it would be just as easy to switch the hot as the neutral.

dnem

Pierre C Belarge said:
Load side (secondary) conductors from a 24v source...which conductor is the "neutral" conductor?

dbuckley said:
As for neutral - for one wire to be a neutral it would have to be grounded, giving the other wire a 'hot' relationship to ground. If there is no ground connection then both wires are isolated from ground, and are equal in all respects. However, one wire is, in most circuit configurations, a 'common', the return from your lamps, relays and solenoids etc. Most folks get confused when the common line is switched, cos its, well, uncommon..... (sorry, couldn't resist)

Overkill said:
I've seen motor starters wired like this. The overload contact it in series with the coil on the neutral side.

The overload contact is in series with the coil on the common side. . Don?t use the word ?neutral? or you?ll confuse somebody.

David

Overkill

dnem said:
The overload contact is in series with the coil on the common side. . Don?t use the word ?neutral? or you?ll confuse somebody.

David

Its statements like that that confuses people.

He said the 24VAC "hot" was feeding the PLC's outputs, in which case, the "hot" is the common.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The overload contact is in series with the coil on the common side. . Don’t use the word “neutral” or you’ll confuse somebody.
Common isn't the correct word either. If it is a grounded system, then the correct term is grounded conductor. If it is an ungrounded system, there is no word for that conductor.
don

Status
Not open for further replies.