Switched switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlrsk8r

If I put in a switched lighting circuit, can I connect a circuit to that already switched circuit ?

Specifically, I am installing a lighting circuit in a bathroom. Customer wants a switched fan to be connected to the load side of the light switch so that in order to turn the fan on, he has to turn on the lights. When he turns the lights off, the fan turns off also. The lights can be on without the fan but the lights have to be on before he can turn on the fan.

Co-worker says that is not permitted. I say it is permitted.

ryan_618

Re: Switched switch

Ask your co-worker to cite a code reference. I'm with you, it is permitted.

What would the safety concern be that would require the NFPA/NEC to intervene?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I agree with Ryan. You are looking at design decisions (i.e., how the system is to be operated), not at code issues. The NEC is concerned with safety, not with design. I also agree with the suggestion that you challenge the person who said ?it violates code? with the question, ?what code section?? But I would offer the following observation as well, ?The code does not say what you think it says. It says what it says.?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Have your co-worker consider the common circuit breaker that is protecting the branch circuit in that bathroom :D

tonyi

I cascade switches all the time for wiring up basement furnaces. I'll put one true "emergency" shutoff upstairs out of the basement area (who wants to enter a flaming basement to turn off a furnace run amok?), and another right next to the unit for the service dude. Either will kill the unit, but since the service dude has his own visible (to him) switch he can feel comfortable knowing he won't get any rude suprises if someone fiddles with the upstairs emergency switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.