Switches Controlling Lighting 404.2(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkl

Code Changes for 2011: There will be a lot more three & four conductor Romex (NM) cable sales because of this code change. Future two-conductor switch loops will need an extra conductor as well as 3-way switch runs needing an fourth conductor. What does one do if the extra conductor is not used for lighted switches or electronic switch devices ? I suspect wire nuts is the answer.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Code Changes for 2011: There will be a lot more three & four conductor Romex (NM) cable sales because of this code change. Future two-conductor switch loops will need an extra conductor as well as 3-way switch runs needing an fourth conductor. What does one do if the extra conductor is not used for lighted switches or electronic switch devices ? I suspect wire nuts is the answer.

In countries where this has been a requirement for a while, switches that don't use the neutral still have a place to land one. It's just a dummy terminal to address the very situation you are describing.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
In countries where this has been a requirement for a while, switches that don't use the neutral still have a place to land one. It's just a dummy terminal to address the very situation you are describing.

Does it =do= anything, or do you now wirenut =3= wires together and land a pigtail on the switch?!?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
C What does one do if the extra conductor is not used for lighted switches or electronic switch devices ? I suspect wire nuts is the answer.

Exactly. Mostly, I wire the feed at one end and the switch leg out the other end with 3 wire between switches so it isn't a biggy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.