switches near tub and shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

it looks like on 404.4(c) switches can't be located within the tub or shower space. A three foot area around the tub or shower.

So if you have a shower door enclosing the shower area, the switch needs to be 3ft from the door because the area within three feet is still considered a wet area?

difowler1

tub and shower zone

tub and shower zone

The same thing is in the 2014 code book. I haven't checked back further.

difowler1

tub and shower zone

tub and shower zone

its on 404.3 (c) in the 2011 also. The part I don't understand is if there is a shower door. Does the switch need to be 3ft outside the shower door.

user 100

it looks like on 404.4(c) switches can't be located within the tub or shower space. A three foot area around the tub or shower.

So if you have a shower door enclosing the shower area, the switch needs to be 3ft from the door because the area within three feet is still considered a wet area?

Is this a new 2017 requirement? There is no mandated 3” distance from the shower stall/area in the 2014.

I don't know of any three foot clearance from any code cycle.

I've got the '08 thru the '17- no such rule exists.

The only 3ft regarding bath devices that I can think of is the within 3ft measurement for the bath rec in 210.52- OP could be getting it backwards and thinking that it applies to sw's near shower?? Or he might have a local amendment to 404.4 and believes its in the code.

jumper

I've got the '08 thru the '17- no such rule exists.

The only 3ft regarding bath devices that I can think of is the within 3ft measurement for the bath rec in 210.52- OP could be getting it backwards and thinking that it applies to sw's near shower?? Or he might have a local amendment to 404.4 and believes its in the code.

Possible. I mix stuff all the time, especially measurements because some numbers are repeated in different sections.

Like 3’. Panel working space depth, strap on raceway near a box, ...wait.. maybe this is OPs confusion....

Lights like paddle fan and track outside a shower. 410.10(D).

Switches, certain light fixtures, shower.....Whadda ya think?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no 3' requirement from the tub in any NEC version. The code simply says that it cannot be within shower and tub spaces which means if you draw a vertical line at the edge of the shower or tub it must to the outside of the line.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is no 3' requirement from the tub in any NEC version. The code simply says that it cannot be within shower and tub spaces which means if you draw a vertical line at the edge of the shower or tub it must to the outside of the line.
Forgive me for digging up an old thread.

Can you clarify how you come up with the "draw a vertical line at the edge of the shower or tub" statement when determining the "Tub or Shower Space" referenced in 404.4(C)?

The only definition of a "Tub or Shower Space" I'm able to find is in 406.9(C), which defines it as "a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold". Granted this is new to 2020 so perhaps your interpretation has changed.

I feel that there should be an actual definition of "Tub or Shower Space" in article 100 since it is referenced in several other articles. 404.4(C), 406.9(C), 552.41(F)(1), 552.52(C), 550.13(F)(1)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Forgive me for digging up an old thread.

Can you clarify how you come up with the "draw a vertical line at the edge of the shower or tub" statement when determining the "Tub or Shower Space" referenced in 404.4(C)?

The only definition of a "Tub or Shower Space" I'm able to find is in 406.9(C), which defines it as "a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold". Granted this is new to 2020 so perhaps your interpretation has changed.

I feel that there should be an actual definition of "Tub or Shower Space" in article 100 since it is referenced in several other articles. 404.4(C), 406.9(C), 552.41(F)(1), 552.52(C), 550.13(F)(1)
You're thinking of the tub and shower zone (not space) which has the 3' and 8' dimensions. Look at 410.10(D). The "space" is the area directly above the tub or shower.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see your point with 410.10(D). Although why is the title of 406.9(C) "Bathtub and Shower Space" when it only is referring to a zone.

I don't think it's helpful that the code lacks clarity on what is meant by a zone or space and we are left to infer what their intent is.

550.13(F) makes reference to "over a bathtub or shower space". Yet, how can one determine what is "above" a space when there is no height defined. I guess perhaps they are making clear that a receptacle can't be installed in the ceiling which would presumably be the upper limit of the "space"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
550.13(F) makes reference to "over a bathtub or shower space". Yet, how can one determine what is "above" a space when there is no height defined. I guess perhaps they are making clear that a receptacle can't be installed in the ceiling which would presumably be the upper limit of the "space"
That is correct. The space includes the ceiling above the tub or shower regardless of the height because as you've noted there is no height given. So back to my old statement if you draw a vertical line from the edge of the tub or shower up to the ceiling that is the space. The word zone is something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.