switches/pendant by bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.....so an architect designed a bathroom where there is a tub by the door. The switch box is shown to be about 2 1/2 feet from the edge of the tub. We could move the switch to the other side of the door but due to the design of the room....that would still leave the switch around 3' from the tub. There is no other good option barring moving the tub ( not gonna happen ). So, the question is, can I GFI protect the switches in order to make it code compliant....and where is that stated in the code. In addition, they want to put a pendant above the tub......if that fixture is low voltage, then can I install it within the 'wet location' only zone? Thanks in advance.

Nad

Buck Parrish

The switch can be at the out side edge of the tub.
The pendant can not. The pendant would have to be real high and labled for wet locations.

radiopet

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations. A surface-mounted switch
or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be enclosed
in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall
comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit
breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a
weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within
wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as
part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord connected
luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires,
lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended
(paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured
900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from
the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This
zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly
over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the
actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a
height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub
rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations,
or marked for wet locations where subject to shower
spray.

Hope this helps...

radiopet

FWIW - You say Tub....is their a shower involved ? If a tub only and no shower then I would argue that it is not a wet location and the last portion of 404.4 would not apply and the switch would be fine. If a shower is involved then all bets are off...it is a wet location and it must be moved...but only outside of the tub area, not 3' away as that is a canada thing...not a US thing...;)

If no shower then you still have a damp location and you would need a weatherproof cover on the switch. Probably better off to just move it outside of the tub space and be done with it....thats my opinion anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
FWIW - You say Tub....is their a shower involved ? If a tub only and no shower then I would argue that it is not a wet location and the last portion of 404.4 would not apply and the switch would be fine. If a shower is involved then all bets are off...it is a wet location and it must be moved...but only outside of the tub area, not 3' away as that is a canada thing...not a US thing...;)

If no shower then you still have a damp location and you would need a weatherproof cover on the switch. Probably better off to just move it outside of the tub space and be done with it....thats my opinion anyway.

I see no NEC requirement for a weather proof cover on a switch adjacent to a tub or shower.

A pendant fixture is required to be outside of the (3' x 8') tub zone regardless of it's wet or lamp location listing.

Hendrix

Are you saying that a switch next to a tub-shower should have a WP cover ??

celtic

If a shower is involved then all bets are off...it is a wet location and it must be moved...but only outside of the tub area, not 3' away as that is a canada thing...not a US thing...;)

I see no NEC requirement for a weather proof cover on a switch adjacent to a tub or shower.

Are you saying that a switch next to a tub-shower should have a WP cover ??

Radiopet may be talking about Canada there....

EDIT:
...and as we have NO IDEA where the OP is from .......

Status
Not open for further replies.