Switching a 14-50R receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a project that needs to have a switched 14-50R receptacle. I was planning on using a 50A switch but don't want to run #6 wire through it to receptacle. Would like to use a 20A switch w/ relay. Any suggestions? Having a hard time finding relay and a motor starters look to be expensive.

How far will the controlling switch be from the receptacle? Under normal conditions, if it's anywhere close, it's going to be much cheaper to use a 50A switch. Or, to turn this around, what's it worth to have "remote control" out the outlet?

Why does it need to be "switched" and how often? Is this for controlling the load or as a safety device? If it's a safety disconnect, then the supply breaker with a lockout device might serve the purpose, or you might need to locate the disconnect near the outlet anyway.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
SQD Definite Purpose Contactors 8910 ~ $200

Not part of your question:
You, of course know, the switch controlling the contactor is not suitable for a lock-out/tag-out.

How far will the controlling switch be from the receptacle? Under normal conditions, if it's anywhere close, it's going to be much cheaper to use a 50A switch. Or, to turn this around, what's it worth to have "remote control" out the outlet?

Why does it need to be "switched" and how often? Is this for controlling the load or as a safety device? If it's a safety disconnect, then the supply breaker with a lockout device might serve the purpose, or you might need to locate the disconnect near the outlet anyway.

It's only going to be a couple feet away. It's being used in a laboratory fume hood and by code I need to have a disconnect outside of the chamber to control the receptacle that's inside the chamber.

I'm leaning toward using the switch. I can use #8 THHN wire and run home runs of 10' or so to the junction box for each receptacle and switch. 4 wires to the receptacle and 5 wires to the switch then connect loads in junction box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Solid state relay $30.

m_adssr650ac280a.jpg

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...,10a_-_75a_(ad-ssr6_series)/ad-ssr650-ac-280a

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
automationdirect.com

Lots of contactors there for cheap. Name brands of Fuji and Eaton. Enclosures too. Faaast shipping, at least here on the east coast.

Yes, all the solid state relays I use require heat sinking, which you get by mounting it on a panel with compound.

Those SQ D non-fuseable 3R disconnects are the cheapest and best outdoor disconnects I have used. The cover is lockable, with small padlock. You can even snap out the "non-breaker" switch and snap in a QO breaker. Yes, I'm sure that violates some listing....:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Aren't those single pole? And most I've seen in the 50A range require a heatsink.
Single pole will work to control a load, since OP is controlling a 14-50 receptacle it will leave one side capable of 120 volt operation though. Single pole can't be a disconnecting means though, but we are disconnecting a receptacle here, which itself is a disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.