Switching of wet niche pool lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art_R

The question is: do you have to run the switch leg (dropback) of the pool lights in conduit all the way from the switch to the faceless GFI feeding the first deckbox? If most of that run is in a basement can't I use NM back to the panel to turn off the hot leg as long as we maintain a continuous ground and return?

Does it matter if it is new construction or a remodel?

Also what if I wanted to use a x10 relay to switch off the lights. What would be the difference of this (as a safety issue) and using another Jandy relay.

I am getting used to the installation methods of my new shop and it differs from the previous.

Thank you in advance for your comments and insights. I did search previous posts back for about 30 pages and did not see this question addressed.

jwelectric

Re: Switching of wet niche pool lights.

680.32 (F)
(1) Wiring Methods. Branch-circuit wiring on the supply side of enclosures and junction boxes connected to conduits run to wet-niche and no-niche luminaires (fixtures), and the field wiring compartments of dry-niche luminaires (fixtures), shall be installed using rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or rigid nonmetallic conduit. Where installed on buildings, electrical metallic tubing shall be permitted, and where installed within buildings, electrical nonmetallic tubing, Type MC cable, or electrical metallic tubing shall be permitted.
Must be in a raceway

680.32 (F)
(2) Equipment Grounding. Through-wall lighting assemblies, wet-niche, dry-niche, or no-niche luminaires (lighting fixtures) shall be connected to an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor installed with the circuit conductors. The equipment grounding conductor shall be installed without joint or splice except as permitted in (F)(2)(a) and (F)(2)(b). The equipment grounding conductor shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.122 but shall not be smaller than 12 AWG.
Must be a copper insulated #12

680.32 (F)
(2) (b) If the underwater luminaire (lighting fixture) is supplied from a transformer, ground-fault circuit interrupter, clock-operated switch, or a manual snap switch that is located between the panelboard and a junction box connected to the conduit that extends directly to the underwater luminaire (lighting fixture), the equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to terminate on grounding terminals on the transformer, ground-fault circuit interrupter, clock-operated switch enclosure, or an outlet box used to enclose a snap switch.
How to land the insulated copper #12 in a switch
Hope this helps
:)

Art_R

Thanks for the quick response to such a dry subject as wet niche fixtures...javascript:void(0)
Razz

So I am to understand, in practice, everyone runs the hot leg of the ckt to the switch for the pool lights in conduit even if it is to a three-way on the wall of the second floor master bedroom and the pool house?

volt101

Art_R,
No, not everyone uses conduit, mc is acceptable. Easier to go fishing with. Also, I see the use of R.I.B. Relays for control of the light. With the relays in place, a low voltage wiring method can be used.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.