System Bonding Jumper table 250.102(C)(1) question

reko19

Hi everyone. Dealing with 4000kVA transformer and 5000A substation. Transformer is closed coupled to the substation. Looking at table 250.102(C)(1), note 4, " If there are no service-entrance conductors, the supply conductor size shall be determined by the equivalent size of the largest service-entrance conductor required for the load to be served". The substation tie (it is main-tie-rie-main arrangement) is 11 sets of 750KCMIL. Note 1 states" if the ungrounded supply conductors are larger than 1100kcmil copper or 1750 kcmil aluminum, the grounded conductor or bonding jumper shall have an area not less than 12.5% percent of the area of the largest ungrounded supply conductor or equivalent area for parallel supply conductors." Note 3 states "If multiple sets of service-entrance conductors are used as permitted
in 230.40, Exception No. 2, or if multiple sets of ungrounded supply conductors are installed for a separately derived system, the equivalent size of the largest ungrounded supply conductor(s) shall be determined by the largest sum of the areas of the corresponding conductors of each set."

So do I size my SBJ based on 12.5% of 11x750KCMIL

OR

Since each set is 750KCMIL, use cooper 2/O?

Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1) So do I size my SBJ based on 12.5% of 11x750KCMIL

OR

2) Since each set is 750KCMIL, use cooper 2/O?

1) The SBJ is sized at 12.5%
2) Each SSBJ (supply side bonding jumper) in the 11 raceways is sized according to the conductors within each raceway which for 750 is #2/0.