T-Bar Fixture Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to admit my first post is a dumb question, but has anyone ever seen or know of a box or fixture support system that spans the 48" length of a t-bar ceiling grid. I was looking for a Caddy or B-Line product, but have never seen anything but the standard 24" Caddy 512. I need to span between the main runners, not a croos-brace.:confused:

stickboy1375

californiakid said:
I hate to admit my first post is a dumb question, but has anyone ever seen or know of a box or fixture support system that spans the 48" length of a t-bar ceiling grid. I was looking for a Caddy or B-Line product, but have never seen anything but the standard 24" Caddy 512. I need to span between the main runners, not a croos-brace.:confused:

Okay, I'll bite, why do you need to span the 48"?

mdshunk

I'd probably just get a scrap of steel stud and tek screw a box to that. Tek screw the steel stud down into the little "hump" on top of each main tee. I'm curious too why you need to span the 48" direction.

ultramegabob

one time I had to mound a bunch of stuff to a ceiling tile, so I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood the same size as the ceiling tile and laid it on top of it. I attached additional support wires from the plywood to the roofdeck to remove the load from the t-grid. this allowed me to cut holes in the ceiling tile and use pancake boxes to mount some fixtures.

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
one time I had to mound a bunch of stuff to a ceiling tile, so I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood the same size as the ceiling tile and laid it on top of it. I attached additional support wires from the plywood to the roofdeck to remove the load from the t-grid. this allowed me to cut holes in the ceiling tile and use pancake boxes to mount some fixtures.
I've done that a few times to mount ceiling speakers. There's a couple companies now that make a 2 foot square ceiling speaker, so that's what I use presently.

stickboy1375

Personally I would just use these... http://70.86.88.179/whnew105.htm

NM94-w_-NM-cable.jpg

whnew105.jpg

FS420SCL-with-NM94.jpg

We are installing linear cable-hung indirect fixtures (Metalumen Avitar C3M to be precise). The fixtures run north-south, the main runners east-west. A 96' run does not have supports every 4', 8', or 12', as the fixture supports fall between the lamps (a 4' section is actually 54" long).

I know that the Caddy 512 is not used to support directly from the grid, and I could still make the 512 work with quake wires, but I was looking for something that would hit the main runners to "help" prevent any potential wave-effect in the ceiling, as this install is in an 80,000 sq ft open offfice.

Only other option I see is to drop 1/4" rod from the deck as needed, but needless to say this would take much more time for layout, install, etc as we would need to be much more precise.

I think I know the real answer - just looking for options.

stickboy1375

ultramegabob said:
things like that are nice, but they dont keep them on the shelf around here, so you have to get creative to get the job done "today".

Thats too bad, I can order most of this stuff and get it same day or the following.

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I've done that a few times to mount ceiling speakers. There's a couple companies now that make a 2 foot square ceiling speaker, so that's what I use presently.

We use these for speaker mounting

TB8.jpg

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
frizbeedog said:
Is NM allowed in suspended ceilings in resi.?

....this might be a dumb question. ;)
Looks good to me.

334.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Types NM, NMC, and NMS. Types NM, NMC, and NMS cables shall not be permitted as follows:
(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings

Status
Not open for further replies.