T-POLE GROUNDS

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One ground (unless tested and proven to be 25 ohms or less) is not considered to be an electrode so if no testing is being performed two rods are required by the NEC.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I always explain that a service is a service, it does not know whether it is permanent or temporary. I have been involved in a couple of electrocutions that I was happy I did not approve the service. 2 Rods for me or not approved.

Is this a local code amendment or do they just say since it's temp one is good enough? The NEC clearly requires two unless the single rod is rested.
It's an actual state amendment in the Washington administrative code (WAC)

250.053 (A)(2) Resistance of rod, pipe, and plate electrodes.
(3) For rod, pipe, and plate electrodes other than those installed in accordance with the exception in subsection (2) of this section, if a ground resistance test is not performed to ensure a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less, two or more electrodes as specified in NEC 250.52 must be installed a minimum of 6 feet apart. A temporary construction service is not required to have more than one made electrode

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
retired - I realize that ground rods will not prevent an electrocution, but it is easier to explain to the investigator that the service was code compliant when approved. I hate filling out OSHA reports. I also agree that grounding is over emphasized in many cases and if the installation is done correctly, the hazards are minimal. After 34 years inspecting, I am still learning and unfortunately, still miss things.

retirede

retired - I realize that ground rods will not prevent an electrocution, but it is easier to explain to the investigator that the service was code compliant when approved. I hate filling out OSHA reports. I also agree that grounding is over emphasized in many cases and if the installation is done correctly, the hazards are minimal. After 34 years inspecting, I am still learning and unfortunately, still miss things.

Yes, if something bad happens, it’s best that all “Is” are dotted and “Ts” crossed, for sure.