T10 lamps vs T12 lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

foot

Good day all. I was on a service call Monday and came upon something I haven't seen. At an auto-body shop in the paint booth the owner replaced all but one of his F40T12 lamps with F40T10 lamps. The one 4 lamp dual-ballast luminaire had 3 T10 lamps and 1 T12 lamp that was pink in color. I ended up replacing one of the T12 ballast with a T10/T12 ballast. Everything was fine until today. Two different lamps are out. Called a few suppliers with no resonse yet. Can T10 lamps be used with T12 ballast? Thanks in advance, and what a great place to go for help.

hurk27

Re: T10 lamps vs T12 lamps

I did a liquor store a while back and used T10 40 watt bulbs that were rated for retro fitting in rapid start ballasted fixtures. they produce 3650 lumen's and are about 3 times brighter than standard 40 watt bulbs. The T number should not matter. It's the wattage and type (RS,IS,Or pre-heat) that requires a certain bulb. here's the link to the ones that I used just click on it.

Lite tronics

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

My understanding of the ?T-Number? is that you divide it by 8 to get the diameter of the bulb. A ?T8? is 8/8?s of an inch, or exactly one inch, in diameter. Thus, the diameter of a ?T10? is 1.25 inches, and the diameter of a ?T12? is 1.5 inches. Are they even physically interchangeable?

marissa2

All the T-12 ballast I have seen are listed for T-12 or T-10 lamps. But I have not seen one yet listed for T-12 and T-8 lamps. T-8 lamps require a different ballast as far as I know.
Lou

foot

thanks for the responses. So far so good on the lamps lasting. One of my suppliers says should be no problem, but he doesn't sell to many T10 lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.