T8 4' lamp on electromagnetic ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You gotta match 'em. The tube type should be listed on the ballast label/documentation. Otherwise, the lamps, the ballast, or both will be destroyed.

fireryan

Fluorescent bulbs come in two primary types, T8 and T12 types. Each type has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Overall, fluorescent bulbs are known for their ability to provide bright and steady light over a larger surface area than a traditional bulb. The bulbs also tend to offer consistent lighting in a room, bathing the room in light.

Size
One primary difference between T8 and T12 fluorescent bulbs is the size of the bulbs and their bases. While both bulbs come in standard lengths, commonly four feet, the number 8 or 12 refers to the difference in the diameter of the bulb. T8 bulbs are eight eighths of one inch, or one inch in diameter, while T12 bulbs are twelve eighths and have a larger diameter of one and a half inches.

Energy Usage
Another area in which these two bulbs differ is in their energy usage. A T8 bulb is 32 watts, while a T12 bulb is 40 watts. This makes the T8 bulb a more energy efficient bulb to use. A government standard known as the Federal Minimum Energy Standard requires buildings to start using energy efficient lighting, favoring the T8 over the T12.

Light Output
Both bulbs put out similar light output although the T8 puts out slightly more light, although the difference is not noticeable to the human eye. According to Philips, a maker of light bulbs and lighting equipment, a T8 bulb produce around 2600 lumens (the unit used to measure light output) while the T12 bulb puts out around 2520 lumens.

Over time the bulbs begin to lose their intensity and brightness. T8 bulbs have a slower period of decrease, losing only 10 percent of their initial brightness after 7,000 hours of use. In comparison T12 bulbs can lose 20 percent or double the T8 lose after the same number of hours.

If the OP is using the word "FEASIBLE" to mean "Will it work".... the answer is sometimes they will.....

if the word "FEASIBLE" means " IS IT RIGHT".... the answer is "NO" ... I think the only other thing I can add is that even though ballasts are thermally protected, it is not a good practice (in my opinion) to rely on that thermal protection to keep a fire from happening. On a more professional level, the output of the lamps will not be what it is designed for either (IF they even light up at all), so in both cases its a LOSE / LOSE situation for the occupant of the building to even try to mix & match ballasts & lamps like that.

As most have stated lots of reasons why "IT AIN'T RIGHT", I'm not sure what the OP meant for the meaning of the word "FEASIBLE".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just find it interesting that two lamps that look so alike can be so different.
It helps if you understand that it's mercury vapor, not a filament, that carries the current, the gas conducts more current as it heats, which will snowball without a current regulator, which is what a ballast is.

Lamps of the wrong impedance for the ballast will conduct either too little or too much current, and likely damage the tubes, the ballast, or both. The ballast cares not how similar the tubes may appear to us.

Ravenvalor

It helps if you understand that it's mercury vapor, not a filament, that carries the current, the gas conducts more current as it heats, which will snowball without a current regulator, which is what a ballast is.

Lamps of the wrong impedance for the ballast will conduct either too little or too much current, and likely damage the tubes, the ballast, or both. The ballast cares not how similar the tubes may appear to us.

Current Regulation!!!

Now I see.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.